Brad Knowles wrote:
If you're going to implement any kind of anti-spam system, make sure
to implement that only within your MTA (sendmail, postfix, Exim,
whatever). Make sure that you don't ever accept a message and then try
to bounce it --that's called "backscatter" and makes you as bad as the
spammer, and will probably result in your legitimate system being put
on one or more blacklists.

Brad's point is right on, however, in some cases it is OK to implement
an anti-spam solution in procmail or something similar as long as you
don't reject the mail, but just silently discard it or flag it for the
recipient.

It is always best to detect the spam in the incoming MTA and issue a
failure response in the incoming SMTP dialog. This is the only way the
failure wil be seen by the actual sender.

See below for the original question.