We are migrating our lists from Majordomo to Mailman. Some list owners have been subscribing users to their lists by sending emails which contain lines like this:

approve <password> <subscribe/unsubscribe> listname <email address>

Does Mailman have an equivalent way for list admins to subscribe users via the email interface? If so, how is it done?

Thanks, Larry

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 29, 2007 at 7:29 pm

    Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
    We are migrating our lists from Majordomo to Mailman. Some list owners have been subscribing users to their lists by sending emails which contain lines like this:

    approve <password> <subscribe/unsubscribe> listname <email address>

    Does Mailman have an equivalent way for list admins to subscribe users via the email interface? If so, how is it done?

    No. The list admin can send the command

    subscribe [password] [digest|nodigest] [address=<address>]

    to the list-request address, but this is a user subscribe request. the
    password if any is the user password to set for the user.

    This request is still subject to whatever confirmation/approval is
    required by the list for new subscriptions, and there is no way for
    the admin to pre-approve it or bypass the user confirmation email if
    any.

    I think I may have indicated in a previous thread that if the
    subscription required admin approval, that could be done by email, but
    I just checked and that is not the case.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 29, '07 at 6:02p
activeOct 29, '07 at 7:29p