Oh great and wise jedi-nights of mailman... I request your assistance. My install of mailman has broke and I'm a bit lost on this one.

When starting up the mailman service, I get the following error:

mazar:/usr/lib/mailman # service mailman start
Starting mailman (Warning: the Apache2 webinterface for Mailman has not been activated!) done

Doing some digging around, when I attempt to apply a template to my new list, using this command:

bin/config_list -i data/sitelist.cfg allstaff

I receive the following error

File "bin/config_list", line 362, in <module>
main()
File "bin/config_list", line 357, in main
do_input(listname, infile, checkonly, verbose)
File "bin/config_list", line 263, in do_input
execfile(infile, globals)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/sitelist.cfg'

Any suggestions on what could be the problem and how to debug this? I have dug around a fair bit this morning and don't have a clue as to what the problem is or why it even broke in the first place.

Many thanks in advance.

Donovan

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 18, 2007 at 2:24 pm

    Donovan R. Palmer wrote:
    When starting up the mailman service, I get the following error:

    mazar:/usr/lib/mailman # service mailman start
    Starting mailman (Warning: the Apache2 webinterface for Mailman has not been activated!) done

    This appears to be specific to your Mailman package, whatever that is.
    The Mailman project distribution issues no such message, but all it
    seems to be saying is your web server isn't running when you start
    Mailman. This should not be a problem for Mailman except that you
    can't use the web interface until you start the web server.

    Doing some digging around, when I attempt to apply a template to my new list, using this command:

    bin/config_list -i data/sitelist.cfg allstaff

    The data/sitelist.cfg list configuration is intended to be used only
    for the site ('mailman') list. For any other list, you ar probably
    better off with the normal defaults.

    I receive the following error

    File "bin/config_list", line 362, in <module>
    main()
    File "bin/config_list", line 357, in main
    do_input(listname, infile, checkonly, verbose)
    File "bin/config_list", line 263, in do_input
    execfile(infile, globals)
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/sitelist.cfg'

    Any suggestions on what could be the problem and how to debug this? I have dug around a fair bit this morning and don't have a clue as to what the problem is or why it even broke in the first place.

    This error occurs because there is no data/sitelist.cfg file. Either it
    has been removed or was never included in your package or possibly
    mailman's data/ directory is not in the same parent directory
    (/usr/lib/mailman ?) as Mailman's bin/ directory.

    As far as I can tell from what you've provided, Mailman is not broken.
    The problems are only that Apache wasn't running when you started
    Mailman, and a file that you don't need anyway may be missing.

  • Donovan R. Palmer at Oct 18, 2007 at 4:36 pm
    Hey Mark - your jedi instinct was on track....
    When starting up the mailman service, I get the following error:

    mazar:/usr/lib/mailman # service mailman start
    Starting mailman (Warning: the Apache2 webinterface for Mailman has not
    been activated!)
    done

    This appears to be specific to your Mailman package, whatever that is.
    The Mailman project distribution issues no such message, but all it
    seems to be saying is your web server isn't running when you start
    Mailman. This should not be a problem for Mailman except that you
    can't use the web interface until you start the web server.
    Yes, I have learned a heck of a lot about Mailman today. I hate the pain
    when something breaks, but in trying to fix it, you generally learn a lot.
    What I found is that an RPM package I had installed dropped the apache
    server flag "MAILMAN" I still don' t know why either, but it is working
    again.

    bin/config_list -i data/sitelist.cfg allstaff
    The data/sitelist.cfg list configuration is intended to be used only
    for the site ('mailman') list. For any other list, you ar probably
    better off with the normal defaults.
    That was a typo... I was actually trying to configure the mailman list. I
    saved my mailman files and decided to do a full reinstall.
[...]

    The data/sitelist.cfg is there, which is what puzzles me. You were correct
    again though, even with this error, I have been able to get things up and
    running again.

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    Donovan

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 18, '07 at 8:34a
activeOct 18, '07 at 4:36p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Donovan R. Palmer: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post