When the admin (me) makes modifications on email adresses, a confirmation
is needed by the user. Is it possible to turn this off? I want to be able
to manage email lists whithout any confirmation from users (they are not
all very familiar with lists, and I think it will be the same using
sync_members command).

I also noticed that even if I turn on the "Change globally" checkbox, the
adress is not modified in other lists. Is that normel?

I'm using mailman 2.1.9-7 from debian etch.

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 6, 2007 at 4:31 pm

    Fr?d?ric Mantegazza wrote:
    When the admin (me) makes modifications on email adresses, a confirmation
    is needed by the user. Is it possible to turn this off?

    No

    I want to be able
    to manage email lists whithout any confirmation from users (they are not
    all very familiar with lists, and I think it will be the same using
    sync_members command).

    The normal command line tool to change a member's address is
    clone_member, but this too requires confirmation.

    If you are managing the user's subscriptions in such a way that they all
    have default options, you can effectively change a member's address
    without confirmation by removing the old address and adding the new.
    This can be done via the web admin Mass Removal and Mass Subscription
    pages or the command line remove_members, add_members or sync_members tools.

    Also, there is a withlist script to change a member's address at
    <http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>
    (mirror at <http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>

    There are two RFEs requesting the ability for an admin to change a
    member's address via the web without confirmation at
    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?funcÞtail&atid50103&aid86298&group_id3>
    and
    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?funcÞtail&atid50103&aid90892&group_id3>.

    I also noticed that even if I turn on the "Change globally" checkbox, the
    adress is not modified in other lists. Is that normel?

    Yes. Only the user or the site admin (not the list admin) can make
    global changes for a user.

    - --
  • Frédéric Mantegazza at Oct 6, 2007 at 6:02 pm

    The normal command line tool to change a member's address is
    clone_member, but this too requires confirmation.

    If you are managing the user's subscriptions in such a way that they all
    have default options, you can effectively change a member's address
    without confirmation by removing the old address and adding the new.
    This can be done via the web admin Mass Removal and Mass Subscription
    pages or the command line remove_members, add_members or sync_members
    tools.

    Also, there is a withlist script to change a member's address at
    <http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>
    (mirror at
    <http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>
    Does this script also require confirmation from the user?
    I also noticed that even if I turn on the "Change globally" checkbox,
    the adress is not modified in other lists. Is that normel?
    Yes. Only the user or the site admin (not the list admin) can make
    global changes for a user.
    Ok. So, this option should not be showed to a list admin...
  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 6, 2007 at 6:25 pm

    Fr?d?ric Mantegazza wrote:
    Also, there is a withlist script to change a member's address at
    <http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>
    (mirror at
    <http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/change_member_address.py>
    Does this script also require confirmation from the user?

    No.

    I also noticed that even if I turn on the "Change globally" checkbox,
    the adress is not modified in other lists. Is that normel?
    Yes. Only the user or the site admin (not the list admin) can make
    global changes for a user.
    Ok. So, this option should not be showed to a list admin...

    I agree. The web interface is scheduled for a major upgrade. See
    <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2>. We will address this at
    that time.

    - --
  • Frédéric Mantegazza at Oct 6, 2007 at 7:16 pm