Hi All

A while ago I did migrate a listserver from majordomo to mailman. Everything
worked very well, but there is one issue which causes me a headache.

There are a few popular lists on this server which are mentioned on various
websites 'out there'.

Of course the instructions on how to subscribe still reffer to majordomo:

=> send a list to majordomo at listserver and put 'subscribe listname' in the
mail body.

I did hope to be able to get mailman to also understand such requests but I'm
still failing.

I made a mail forwarding from majordomo at listserver to
mailman-request at listserver so the old majordomo address still does work.

But mailman does only just understand the keyword 'subscribe' and does not
parse the following maillist name.

So all users trying to subscribe the majordomo way to the maillist end up by
subscribing to the internal 'mailman' mailinglist instead to the one they
wish to subscribe to.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Regards
-Benoit-

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 27, 2007 at 2:46 pm

    Benoit Panizzon wrote:
    Of course the instructions on how to subscribe still reffer to majordomo:

    => send a list to majordomo at listserver and put 'subscribe listname' in the
    mail body.

    I did hope to be able to get mailman to also understand such requests but I'm
    still failing.

    Try piping the mail to majordomo at example.com to procmail with, e.g.
    /path/to/procmail -m /path/to/procmailrc
    with a procmailrc containing

    0: B
    * ^ *subscribe *\/[^ ]+
    ! $MATCH-subscribe at example.com
    0:
    Here you could set EXITCODE = 69 to bounce the mail for 'service
    unavailable' or you could deliver the mail to a human. This would only
    be mail without 'subscribe ...' in the body.

  • Benoit Panizzon at Sep 27, 2007 at 4:27 pm

    Try piping the mail to majordomo at example.com to procmail with, e.g.
    /path/to/procmail -m /path/to/procmailrc
    with a procmailrc containing
    Thank you very much. That works perfectly fine for me.

    -Benoit-

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 27, '07 at 1:38p
activeSep 27, '07 at 4:27p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Benoit Panizzon: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post