I am seeing "Uncaught bounce notification" e-mail from my Mailman 2.1.9.
The unhandled message looks like a "return-receipt" for a read of an orginal
e-mail sent thru a list managed by Mailman.

I have looked at the header of the e-mail that the reader is sending the
receipt too. There is no "Return-Receipt" in the e-mail header.
Thanks to Cleanse.py it is striped out.

The orginal e-mail is generated by "Microsoft Outlook 12.0"
and the e-mail client generating the receipt is :

Is anyone else seeing "Return-Recipt" e-mail generating uncought bounce notification e-mail?

Is MS hiding "return-receipt" inside another field, like X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

Thanks,
-Kevin

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 21, 2007 at 9:39 pm

    Kevin J Dunlap wrote:
    I am seeing "Uncaught bounce notification" e-mail from my Mailman 2.1.9.
    The unhandled message looks like a "return-receipt" for a read of an orginal
    e-mail sent thru a list managed by Mailman.

    I have looked at the header of the e-mail that the reader is sending the
    receipt too. There is no "Return-Receipt" in the e-mail header.
    Thanks to Cleanse.py it is striped out.

    Is there any header that even remotely looks like it's asking for a
    delivery receipt? If you haven't done so, try looking at the message
    in the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file just in case
    there was such a header that got removed on it's way to some but not
    all recipients.

    The orginal e-mail is generated by "Microsoft Outlook 12.0"
    and the e-mail client generating the receipt is :

    Is anyone else seeing "Return-Recipt" e-mail generating uncought bounce notification e-mail?

    I haven't seen it on my production lists, and I'm sure some of my users
    must be using Outlook.

    Is MS hiding "return-receipt" inside another field, like X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

    That seems unlikely. Perhaps Outlook is sending unrequested receipts,
    but that seems unlikely too. Perhaps there is something in the
    application/ms-tnef (Winmail.dat) part itself that asks for a receipt.
    You could try using content filtering to remove these if you aren't
    already.

    If you do find a header that's causing this, please let us know as we
    definitely want to add it to the list of headers we remove in
    Cleanse.py.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 21, '07 at 8:27p
activeSep 21, '07 at 9:39p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Kevin J Dunlap: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post