Hi!

I have a problem with the mailman web interface output.
I use the hungarian translation, which should be generated as an
ISO-8859-2 html file, but it generates an UTF-8 output.
I have checked the text files which are related to the web output and
they are all in ISO-8859-2.
It seems to me like mailman would read the files in ISO-8859-2, and
after that it converts it to UTF-8 and generates the html output.

This is the add language row of my /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
file.
add_language('hu', _('Hungarian'), 'iso-8859-2')

Default language in the /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py file is:
DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'hu'

In the html output the charset is ok:
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2">

Apache header is also ISO-8859-2.

So the browser reads it as ISO-8859-2 text, but it is UTF-8 text so it
is unreadable.
If I temporary chanage the charset in firefox to utf-8 it appears correct.

It is an ubuntu dapper with mailman version 2.1.5-9ubuntu4.1.

Thanks for the help.

Viktor

Search Discussions

  • Stephen J. Turnbull at Sep 19, 2007 at 9:26 pm
    P?l Viktor writes:
    I have a problem with the mailman web interface output.
    I use the hungarian translation, which should be generated as an
    ISO-8859-2 html file, but it generates an UTF-8 output.
    I have checked the text files which are related to the web output and
    they are all in ISO-8859-2.
    I seem to recall that this is a known bug, and I believe it was fixed
    after Mailman 2.1.5. You should see if there is a more recent version
    of mailman packaged by Ubuntu. The fix may be fairly recent, and
    there are known security problems fixed in each revision. You should
    get the most recent version available, currently 2.1.9.
  • Pál Viktor at Sep 24, 2007 at 7:33 am

    P?l Viktor writes:

    I have a problem with the mailman web interface output.
    I use the hungarian translation, which should be generated as an
    ISO-8859-2 html file, but it generates an UTF-8 output.
    I have checked the text files which are related to the web output and
    they are all in ISO-8859-2.
    I seem to recall that this is a known bug, and I believe it was fixed
    after Mailman 2.1.5. You should see if there is a more recent version
    of mailman packaged by Ubuntu. The fix may be fairly recent, and
    there are known security problems fixed in each revision. You should
    get the most recent version available, currently 2.1.9.
    I made a dist upgrade on my ubuntu from dapper to edgy.
    Now I have mailman version 2.1.9-4ubuntu1~edgy1.
    The problem is solved 90%.
    There is the page /cgi-bin/mailman/admin/LISTNAME.
    I do not mean the admin page itself, but the page where you are
    prompted to give the administrator password for the list.
    On this page there are still parts in UTF-8. The part above the hr tag.
    As I see all the other pages seem to be ok.
    The files which contain the text of this page are in ISO-8859-2.

    It's a little bit strange.

    Viktor
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 25, 2007 at 4:46 pm
    P?l Viktor wrote:

    Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    P?l Viktor writes:
    I have a problem with the mailman web interface output.
    I use the hungarian translation, which should be generated as an
    ISO-8859-2 html file, but it generates an UTF-8 output.
    I have checked the text files which are related to the web output and
    they are all in ISO-8859-2.
    I seem to recall that this is a known bug, and I believe it was fixed
    after Mailman 2.1.5. You should see if there is a more recent version
    of mailman packaged by Ubuntu. The fix may be fairly recent, and
    there are known security problems fixed in each revision. You should
    get the most recent version available, currently 2.1.9.
    I made a dist upgrade on my ubuntu from dapper to edgy.
    Now I have mailman version 2.1.9-4ubuntu1~edgy1.
    The problem is solved 90%.
    There is the page /cgi-bin/mailman/admin/LISTNAME.
    I do not mean the admin page itself, but the page where you are
    prompted to give the administrator password for the list.
    On this page there are still parts in UTF-8. The part above the hr tag.
    As I see all the other pages seem to be ok.
    The files which contain the text of this page are in ISO-8859-2.

    It's a little bit strange.

    Yes, it is strange. I have tried to duplicate this, and I don't see it.

    Does this occur with the admin login only, or also with admindb login?
    And is private archive login OK?

    In your original post, you say you checked all the stuff I would
    suggest, and it all seems right. I can only think of two other things.

    1) Is it possible there is an 'old' version of this page cached in your
    browser or a proxy? (I know that's a stretch, but ...)

    2) It is possible for the template text to be coerced to Unicode during
    interpolation if any of the interpolated values are Unicode strings,
    or if interpolation throws a UnicodeError exception. It's hard to see
    how these exceptions might occur if the template isn't broken. Is
    there an edited template in any of

    lists/<listname>/hu/admlogin.html
    templates/<list.host_name>/hu/admlogin.html
    templates/site/hu/admlogin.html


    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 19, '07 at 5:38p
activeSep 25, '07 at 4:46p
posts4
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase