I've had a bad address stuck in the pending database for several days,
and Mailman keeps trying to send an invitation message every 15 minutes.
The address has a mistyped domain and will never be deliverable.

Is there a command to remove known bad entries?

How long will Mailman keep trying?

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2007 at 4:08 am

    Jim Garrison wrote:
    I've had a bad address stuck in the pending database for several days,
    and Mailman keeps trying to send an invitation message every 15 minutes.
    The address has a mistyped domain and will never be deliverable.

    Is there a command to remove known bad entries?

    How long will Mailman keep trying?

    The problem is not the pending database. The problem is that your
    outgoing MTA is returning a 'retryable' status to Mailman on Mailman's
    attempt to send the invitation, so Mailman puts the notice in the
    retry queue and tries again 15 minutes later.

    Just delete the entry from qfiles/retry/

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2007 at 4:17 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    The problem is not the pending database. The problem is that your
    outgoing MTA is returning a 'retryable' status to Mailman on Mailman's
    attempt to send the invitation, so Mailman puts the notice in the
    retry queue and tries again 15 minutes later.

    And this in turn would indicate that your MTA is doing DNS verification
    during SMTP from Mailman. If it weren't, it would accept the mail with
    a bad domain and it would do the retries itself and eventually give up.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.011.htp>
    for more on this. It is a performance killer for Mailman.

  • Jim Garrison at Sep 11, 2007 at 4:35 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Just delete the entry from qfiles/retry
    Sorry, I don't know where to look for qfiles/retry. I
    did a search of my entire system for a directory named
    qfiles but found nothing. I'm running version 2.1.9.

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    And this in turn would indicate that your MTA is doing DNS verification
    during SMTP from Mailman. If it weren't, it would accept the mail with
    a bad domain and it would do the retries itself and eventually give up.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.011.htp>
    for more on this. It is a performance killer for Mailman.
    www.python.org is rejecting connections right now, but I will
    read the FAQ entry when it comes back online and change the
    Postfix config.

    --
    Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
    PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2007 at 5:33 am

    Jim Garrison wrote:
    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Just delete the entry from qfiles/retry
    Sorry, I don't know where to look for qfiles/retry. I
    did a search of my entire system for a directory named
    qfiles but found nothing. I'm running version 2.1.9.

    If your Mailman was installed from source in the default location, it's
    /usr/local/mailman/qfiles/retry, but it could be anywhere. If you know
    where Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py are, look in Defaults.py where you
    should see

    QUEUE_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'qfiles')

    and before that,

    VAR_PREFIX = '/some/path'

    which would put qfiles at /some/path/qfiles.

    Did you do

    find / -name qfiles -print

    ?

    You could also try

    ls -l ~mailman

  • Jim Garrison at Sep 11, 2007 at 5:50 am
    If your Mailman was installed from source in the default location, it's
    /usr/local/mailman/qfiles/retry, but it could be anywhere. If you know
    where Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py are, look in Defaults.py where you
    should see

    QUEUE_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'qfiles')
    Ah. That was the key. On a Fedora system with Mailman installed from
    RPM it's /var/spool/mailman, not 'qfiles' at all.
    and before that,

    VAR_PREFIX = '/some/path'

    which would put qfiles at /some/path/qfiles.

    Did you do

    find / -name qfiles -print
    Yes, with predictable results since it's not 'qfiles' in Fedora :-)

    Thanks for the pointers. I disabled DNS rejects in Postfix and the
    next time Mailman tried to send the invites it got permanent errors
    and gave up.

    Again, your help is much appreciated.

    --
    Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
    PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 11, 2007 at 3:51 pm

    Jim Garrison wrote:
    Ah. That was the key. On a Fedora system with Mailman installed from
    RPM it's /var/spool/mailman, not 'qfiles' at all.

    You didn't tell me it was RedHat FHS compliant Mailman. See
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2004-October/017343.html>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 11, '07 at 3:33a
activeSep 11, '07 at 3:51p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 4 posts Jim Garrison: 3 posts