My list server, as near as I can tell, does not appear to be parsing out
from mbox format.

(To backtrack, early last month, I had asked the list for help on
correctly parsing out the From information. It is apparently doing this
correctly, as in putting the > in front of the From.)

Now, though, I have the 2007-July file that has the broken messages
still in here.

In short, did I run the archiver correctly? Or for that matter, where
should I be looking/running this file/whatever?

-Dennis Carr

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 3, 2007 at 4:48 am

    Dennis Carr wrote:
    My list server, as near as I can tell, does not appear to be parsing out
    from mbox format.

    (To backtrack, early last month, I had asked the list for help on
    correctly parsing out the From information. It is apparently doing this
    correctly, as in putting the > in front of the From.)

    What are you looking at that has the properly escaped >From_?

    Now, though, I have the 2007-July file that has the broken messages
    still in here.

    In short, did I run the archiver correctly? Or for that matter, where
    should I be looking/running this file/whatever?

    You never answered the questions I asked (see
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-August/058047.html>).

    However, there should be an archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox file
    which contains all posts to the ffml list. Look at that file and see
    if the From_ line in the body of the Fri Jul 6 00:13:27 PDT 2007
    Happosai's Life of DOOM #6 post is escaped with a leading '>' or not.
    It should be.

    If it is and if

    bin/cleanarch -n < archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox

    doesn't report any problems, then

    bin/arch --wipe ffml

    should rebuild the archive.

    If there are problems with the ffml.mbox file, then you can run

    bin/cleanarch < archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox > tmpfile
    mv tmpfile archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox

    before running bin/arch as above.

    If there are problems, then I think you must somehow have the wrong
    python email library. Refer to the questions in my above referenced
    reply to your original post.

  • Dennis Carr at Sep 5, 2007 at 4:05 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Dennis Carr wrote:
    My list server, as near as I can tell, does not appear to be parsing out
    from mbox format.
    (To backtrack, early last month, I had asked the list for help on
    correctly parsing out the From information. It is apparently doing this
    correctly, as in putting the > in front of the From.)

    What are you looking at that has the properly escaped >From_?

    Now, though, I have the 2007-July file that has the broken messages
    still in here.

    In short, did I run the archiver correctly? Or for that matter, where
    should I be looking/running this file/whatever?

    You never answered the questions I asked (see
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-August/058047.html>).
    Oh, bugger all, sorry. Python 2.4.4, and there is an email package in
    pythonlib.
    However, there should be an archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox file
    which contains all posts to the ffml list. Look at that file and see
    if the From_ line in the body of the Fri Jul 6 00:13:27 PDT 2007
    Happosai's Life of DOOM #6 post is escaped with a leading '>' or not.
    It should be.
    It isn't named with .mbox, but it is the single file with all the
    messages. What I'm looking at are the messages, but in some cases you
    get the following:
    ...between parts of the entry, with one line of the message omitted and
    replaced with the above.

    If it is and if

    bin/cleanarch -n < archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox

    doesn't report any problems, then

    bin/arch --wipe ffml

    should rebuild the archive.
    I'll give that a whirl and see what happens, thanks Mark.

    -Dennis
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 6, 2007 at 1:14 am