showed no problems.

Setting up lists works okay. However, when I try to send a mesage to
the list, I get this:

test7 at myserver.com on 8/29/2007 11:36 AM
Failed (Command died with status 8:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Failure
to find group name for GID 1004. Mailman expected the mail wrapper
to be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server
executed the wrapper as GID 1004 for which the name could not be
found. Try adding GID 1004 to your system as "mailman", or tweak
your mail server to run the wrapper as group "mailman".)

Why is it looking at mailman GID04 when it is 502? Mailman UID is
1004, but not GID. I tried reconfiguring it with mail GID = nobody,
which I have done before, but still get this message.

Help is most welcome.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Christopher Adams at Aug 29, 2007 at 11:45 pm
    I honestly like it when my questions are skimmed over. It makes me
    realize that I have way more resources to fix things than I initially
    think.

    In this case, it was a "simple" case of the mailman /etc/passwd user
    entry showing a GID that didn't match the /etc/group mailman entry. I
    did try changing the /etc/group mailman entry to the actual GID that
    it was looking for, but the mailman installation broke. Eventually, I
    noticed that there was a mismatch.

    So, all should be okay. Thanks for ignoring me.
    Okay, another migration, another GID problem. I configured mailman to
    run as mail GID=mailman (which is 502) and cgi-gid = apache (which is
    48). The configuration and installation went fine and check_perms

    adamsca at gmail.com

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 30, 2007 at 12:44 am

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    So, all should be okay. Thanks for ignoring me.

    Hey, I wasn't ignoring you. I was just out all day :-)

    So now you can ignore my initial reply, and I'm glad you've got it
    working.

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 30, 2007 at 12:38 am

    Christopher Adams wrote:
[...]

    The message above is telling you that the mail wrapper is expecting to
    be invoked as group 'mailman' (which you already know because you told
    it to expect that when you configured with --with-mail-gid=mailman),
    but the MTA is executing the pipe to Mailman as GID 1004.

    rerunning configure with --with-mail-gid04 may fix this or you could
    try to change whatever is required in your MTA or its Mailman aliases
    to make it run the pipe to Mailman as group Mailman.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq06.016.htp>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 29, '07 at 7:10p
activeAug 30, '07 at 12:44a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Christopher Adams: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts