Hello,
This seems like it should be in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't find the
answer there or in the archives.

I am setting up Mailman to run with my chrooted Lighttpd installation.
Lighttpd runs as www-data:www-data, and is chrooted to /var/www.
Mailman is running is list:list, as installed by the Debian package. I
am trying to work out the best way to get the file permissions sorted
out. These should be more-or-less the same as would be needed for
Apache. Is there a good reference for this?

A number of directories I have chowned to www-data: the cgi-bin, and so
on. But I am unclear on which directories mailman itself needs to have
write access to, or the most elegant way to resolve this.

Does anyone simply run mailman as www-data? When I tried adding
www-data to the list group, it didn't solve the errors I was getting.

Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 29, 2007 at 1:44 am

    Jeffrey Rice wrote:
    This seems like it should be in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't find the
    answer there or in the archives.

    See
    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman++chroot>

    I am setting up Mailman to run with my chrooted Lighttpd installation.

    Mailman is not designed or intended to be run in this way. Mailman is
    normally installed with all of its files and directories in Mailman's
    group with appropriate group permissions and the cgi-bin wrappers run
    as SETGID.

    Lighttpd runs as www-data:www-data, and is chrooted to /var/www.
    Mailman is running is list:list, as installed by the Debian package. I
    am trying to work out the best way to get the file permissions sorted
    out. These should be more-or-less the same as would be needed for
    Apache. Is there a good reference for this?

    See above.

    A number of directories I have chowned to www-data: the cgi-bin, and so
    on. But I am unclear on which directories mailman itself needs to have
    write access to, or the most elegant way to resolve this.

    A normal Mailman installation has the following directories: Mailman,
    archives, bin, cgi-bin, cron, data, lists, locks, logs, mail,
    messages, pythonlib, qfiles, scripts, spam, templates and tests.

    The 'tests' directory is only used if you run unit tests. Other than
    that, Mailman (the qrunners started by bin/mailmanctl), the incoming
    MTA via the mail/mailman wrapper and the web server via the cgi-bin/*
    wrappers need to be able to read everything and write to the archives,
    data, lists, locks, logs, qfiles and spam directories.

    Does anyone simply run mailman as www-data? When I tried adding
    www-data to the list group, it didn't solve the errors I was getting.

    You will probably get group mismatch errors. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
    for more info.

  • Jeffrey Rice at Aug 29, 2007 at 4:41 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Jeffrey Rice wrote:
    I am setting up Mailman to run with my chrooted Lighttpd installation.

    Mailman is not designed or intended to be run in this way. Mailman is
    normally installed with all of its files and directories in Mailman's
    group with appropriate group permissions and the cgi-bin wrappers run
    as SETGID.
    Thank you for the reply. I have actually made some good progress on
    this. The biggest thing I did that helped was switch from the Debian
    package, which scatters files across the system, to compiling from
    source and pointing it (./configure --prefix) to a directory inside the
    jail. This worked much better, since everything was in the some tree,
    and I only had a few permissions to sort out.

    So far, it appears to work well. I have one error with the postalias
    call, but since I'm using postfix-to-mailman.py I don't think I need it
    and the list is created despite that crash.

    Once I have done more testing, I will try to write this up (maybe for
    the Wiki?) if it seems it would be helpful.

    Jeff
  • Brad Knowles at Aug 29, 2007 at 8:57 pm

    Once I have done more testing, I will try to write this up (maybe for
    the Wiki?) if it seems it would be helpful.
    That would make a good addition to go along side FAQ 1.14 at
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.014.htp>.

    Thanks!

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 31, 2007 at 12:10 am

    Jeffrey Rice wrote:
    So far, it appears to work well. I have one error with the postalias
    call, but since I'm using postfix-to-mailman.py I don't think I need it
    and the list is created despite that crash.

    If you are using postfix-to-mailman.py, you should have

    MTA = None

    (note no quotes) and not

    MTA = 'Postfix'

    in mm_cfg.py. MTA = 'Postfix' is only for automating the creation of
    Postfix aliases for Mailman lists, and with postfix-to-mailman.py, you
    aren't using aliases for Mailman.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 28, '07 at 4:33p