Hello,

I'm a site administrator running mailman 2.1.9 and am beginning to
delegate some responsibility to list administrators. While I trust
(the integrity of) these people, I am not fully confident that they
completely grasp the importance of the confirmation process
(particularly since some list members seem to have trouble with it).
I do not want any of these list administrators to subscribe anyone
(or change email addresses of members) without the member having to
go through the confirmation process.

To my knowledge, the one place that a list administrator could by-
pass the confirmation process for members is on the mass subscription
page. Are there other locations as well? And, the heart of my
question, can I disable those?

Cheers,

-j

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 23, 2007 at 3:03 am

    Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
    To my knowledge, the one place that a list administrator could by-
    pass the confirmation process for members is on the mass subscription
    page. Are there other locations as well?

    The only other way I can think of offhand is to set subscribe_policy to
    'Require approval'. Then the admin can request a subscription by email
    or listinfo subscribe form and approve the request without a
    confirmation from the user.

    And, the heart of my
    question, can I disable those?

    Of course, you can do anything if you're willing to hack the code, but
    short of that, all you can do is eliminate the entire Membership
    Management... section including the Membership List from the admin
    interface.

    You probably don't want to do that, but if you did, you'd either copy
    the entire ADMIN_CATEGORIES definition from Defaults.py to mm_cfg.py,
    but leave out "'members',", or add

    del ADMIN_CATEGORIES[ADMIN_CATEGORIES.index('members')]

    to mm_cfg.py, but even doing this doesn't stop subscribes with approval
    and no confirmation.

  • Jeffrey Goldberg at Aug 23, 2007 at 3:40 pm