We are migrating about 300 lists from majordomo to mailman and would like
some help finding how to setup a few properties. We've worked at this a
while and been unable to find where/how to set these. (See below for
background.)

1. We don't want any 'list owners' or 'moderators'. Just we lucky few
admins will run the lists.

2. We want the majority of the lists to be open for users to
subscribe/unsubscribe without any passwords required.

3. We want the other very few lists to be setup so only the single list
admin(s) adds and removes names from the list.

4. All of the lists are for broadcast only with the majority being used by
automated processes that do not react nicely to bounces or other
administrivia and are not members of each list.

Background:

We are producing a large mechatronics application with ~700
developers/testers, etc. Our bug tracking, build and other automated
systems generate emails that get broadcast via these lists (the majority of
them). The other lists are used by admins for system outage and other such
communications.

Alan E (Nick) Nicoll

DocuSP Problem System Administrator

Xerox Corporation

Xerox Centre Drive, MS: ESC1-615

El Segundo, CA 90245

Phone 310 333-5081 Internal 8*823-5081

Fax 310 333-6898

alan.nicoll at xerox.com

XEROX

Technology Document Management Consulting Services

www.xerox.com

solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this email in
error please delete it. Any views or opinions presented in this email are
solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Xerox
Corporation. Finally, the recipient should check this email is authentic and
examine it for the presence of viruses. Xerox does perform virus checks but
cannot accept liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by
this email.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 23, 2007 at 12:36 am

    Nicoll, Alan wrote:
    We are migrating about 300 lists from majordomo to mailman and would like
    some help finding how to setup a few properties. We've worked at this a
    while and been unable to find where/how to set these. (See below for
    background.)

    1. We don't want any 'list owners' or 'moderators'. Just we lucky few
    admins will run the lists.

    You don't need 'moderators', but you do need 'owners'. Mailman sends
    various notices to listname-owner and this is in turn forwarded to the
    list owner address(es) which should be deliverable. Presumably the
    owner(s) will be you few lucky admins.

    2. We want the majority of the lists to be open for users to
    subscribe/unsubscribe without any passwords required.

    I'm not sure what you really are asking. List members have passwords to
    allow them to authenticate for things like visiting private archives,
    changing user options and unsubscribing without confirmation, but if
    they don't need to do these things, they don't need to know/use any
    password.

    If you want users to be able to subscribe without confirmation, you
    need to set

    ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

    in mm_cfg.py and then set the list's Privacy options...->Subscription
    rules->subscribe_policy to None.

    Users cannot unsubscribe without either a password, a confirmation
    email, or admin action.

    3. We want the other very few lists to be setup so only the single list
    admin(s) adds and removes names from the list.

    Set Privacy options...->Subscription rules->subscribe_policy to Require
    Aproval and set Privacy options...->Subscription
    rules->unsubscribe_policy to Yes to prevent users from (un)subscribing
    themselves and then manage the membership via the admin Membership
    Management...->Mass Subscription and Mass Removal pages or the
    bin/add_members and bin/remove_members command line tools.

    4. All of the lists are for broadcast only with the majority being used by
    automated processes that do not react nicely to bounces or other
    administrivia and are not members of each list.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>
    for advice on one-way lists.

  • Brad Knowles at Aug 23, 2007 at 1:08 am