Inside newlist there is a line:

listname = listname.lower()

Is there any hard reason this can't be removed so that list names
are created in the original case entered?

Also, I'd like the subject prefix to keep that
original case when lists are created by default.
What would be the best place to set that preference?

--Donald

Search Discussions

  • D G Teed at Aug 13, 2007 at 2:45 pm
    It doesn't really matter if the list name is in any particular case,
    but I'd like the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX
    to keep the original case of the list name. Because we have
    lists named after course names, it would look a little odd for
    only the first char to be upper case (e.g. [Srmk4563a1] rather than
    [SRMK4563A1].

    Looking at MailList.py, I see where realname is being set:

    self.real_name = internalname[0].upper() + internalname[1:]

    I considered adding another variable on the next line and then
    reference that in my defaults file. However, I think it
    would require that I map all of my lists to uppercase
    in the new variable, since it seems like the original name
    is converted to lowercase internally when the list is created.
    I'm not sure whether mapping all mailing lists to upper case
    for the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX would be acceptable.

    So it gets back to my original question, which I have googled and
    can't see the answer: can I safely remove the line inside the newlist
    script which maps the list name to lowercase?

    --Donald
    Is there any hard reason this can't be removed so that list names
    are created in the original case entered?

    Also, I'd like the subject prefix to keep that
    original case when lists are created by default.
    What would be the best place to set that preference?

    --Donald
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 19, 2007 at 4:22 am

    D G Teed wrote:
    It doesn't really matter if the list name is in any particular case,
    but I'd like the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX
    to keep the original case of the list name. Because we have
    lists named after course names, it would look a little odd for
    only the first char to be upper case (e.g. [Srmk4563a1] rather than
    [SRMK4563A1].

    Looking at MailList.py, I see where realname is being set:

    self.real_name = internalname[0].upper() + internalname[1:]

    You could just change that to

    self.real_name = internalname.upper()

    which would set the initial real_name of the list to all upper case and
    the subject_prefix would follow.

    I considered adding another variable on the next line and then
    reference that in my defaults file. However, I think it
    would require that I map all of my lists to uppercase
    in the new variable, since it seems like the original name
    is converted to lowercase internally when the list is created.
    I'm not sure whether mapping all mailing lists to upper case
    for the DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX would be acceptable.

    The internal_name should be all lower case. I'm not certain, but I
    think lots would break if it weren't. The real_name can be changed via
    the web admin interface and can be anything at all as long as it
    differsd from the internal_name only by case, i.e., any combination of
    letters of the internal_name can be upper-cased for the real_name.

    So it gets back to my original question, which I have googled and
    can't see the answer: can I safely remove the line inside the newlist
    script which maps the list name to lowercase?

    I don't think so.

    - --

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython