HI,

I have an odd problem. I have over a hundred lists and all but one
is working properly. The initial support call was a complaint that
the mail server was bouncing back the emails sent to the list
claiming that there was no such user (list-name).

I thought it was odd, so I rmlist -a and recreated it using newlist.
I tested the list, mail went to the user and everyone was happy.

Oddly, the mailserver bounced that night (we aren't sure why) but the
next day I got another call about the same list. I thought that it
was a fluke, maybe some weird setting had been reverted when the
server bounced, so again I removed the list (rmlist but without
removing the archives) and recreated the list using newlist. I
tested the list by sending an email and everyone (except the
administrator who now had to repopulate the list was happy)

It is day 3. I got phone call today. The same list is broken
again. All the other lists work fine but this one seems to be
unrecognized by the system:

Aug 2 13:36:36 mail postfix/smtpd[5008]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
sjc.mailserver.com[63.80.14.252]: 550 <qvc-
requests at mail.mailserver.com>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in local recipient table; from=<carconni at mailserver.com>
to=<qvc-requests at mail.mailserver.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[172.16.246.5]>
Aug 2 13:42:02 mail postfix/smtpd[5066]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
sjc.mailserver.com[63.80.14.252]: 550 <qvc-
requests at mail.mailserver.com>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in local recipient table; from=<carconni at mailserver.com>
to=<qvc-requests at mail.mailserver.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[172.16.246.5]>
Aug 2 13:45:31 mail postfix/pipe[6401]: 9E219166485D: to=<qvc-
requests at mailserver.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced (data
format error. Command output: qvc-requests: Mailbox does not exist )
Aug 2 13:57:17 corp-admin2 postfix/pipe[7594]: 222591665614: to=<qvc-
requests at mailserver.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced (data
format error. Command output: qvc-requests: Mailbox does not exist )
Aug 2 14:05:45 mail postfix/pipe[7722]: 34A081666003: to=<qvc-
requests at mailserver.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced (data
format error. Command output: qvc-requests: Mailbox does not exist )

I have spent the better part of 6 hours looking for a reason. I've
checked permissions, not just with checkperms but manually, step by
step, directory by directory comparing the broken list to a list that
is known to be working.

/private/var/mailman/archives/private/qvc-requests/database "other"
perms must be 000 (fixing)

drwxrwsr-x 3 root mailman 102 Jun 18 13:30 production
drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 68 Jun 18 13:30 production.mbox
drwxrwsr-x 10 root mailman 340 Aug 1 11:18 qvc-requests
drwxrwsr-x 3 root mailman 102 Jul 26 09:02 qvc-requests.mbox

/var/mailman/lists root# ls -l qvc-requests
total 56
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 3777 Aug 2 11:25 config.pck
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 3778 Aug 2 11:24 config.pck.last
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 11089 Aug 1 14:16 digest.mbox
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 131 Aug 1 10:24 pending.pck
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www mailman 24 Aug 1 11:18 request.pck

/var/mailman/archives/private/qvc-requests root# ls -l
total 160
drwxrwsr-x 10 mailman mailman 340 Aug 1 14:16 2007-August
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 2476 Aug 1 14:16 2007-August.txt
drwxrwsr-x 28 mailman mailman 952 Jul 31 15:08 2007-July
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 66954 Jul 31 15:08 2007-July.txt
drwxrwsr-x 7 root mailman 238 Aug 1 11:59 attachments
drwxrwx--- 12 mailman mailman 408 Aug 1 14:16 database
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 1465 Aug 1 14:16 index.html
-rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 892 Aug 1 14:16 pipermail.pck

I've checked the alias file in /var/mailman/data/aliases:
(Everything looks ok)

# STANZA START: qvc-requests
# CREATED: Wed Aug 1 09:09:12 2007
qvc-requests: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post qvc-
requests"
qvc-requests-admin: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman admin qvc-
requests"
qvc-requests-bounces: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
qvc-requests"
qvc-requests-confirm: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
qvc-requests"
qvc-requests-join: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman join qvc-
requests"
qvc-requests-leave: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman leave qvc-
requests"
qvc-requests-owner: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman owner qvc-
requests"
qvc-requests-request: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman request
qvc-requests"
qvc-requests-subscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
qvc-requests"
qvc-requests-unsubscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman
unsubscribe qvc-requests"
# STANZA END: qvc-requests

I've checked locks: - nothing regarding this list there.

main.cf shows: alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/lmail/
company.aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases

Where else can I check?

Thank you

Search Discussions

  • Carconni at Aug 3, 2007 at 12:01 am
    Hi,

    I've just been updated by more of the users/list admins. It seems
    that every-time the mail-server bounces/restarts, configurations are
    lost. Members fall off lists, lists stop running, or are no longer
    recognized by the mail server. Is there a central DB or something
    that is rolling back to an earlier version?

    I haven't made any changes to lists since they moved - but then
    again - this could be a result of the move since our mail server
    really doesn't get restarted often.

    Any ideas?

    Begin forwarded message:

    40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/
    carconni%40earthlink.net

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
    req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 3, 2007 at 1:40 am

    carconni wrote:
    I've just been updated by more of the users/list admins. It seems
    that every-time the mail-server bounces/restarts, configurations are
    lost. Members fall off lists, lists stop running, or are no longer
    recognized by the mail server. Is there a central DB or something
    that is rolling back to an earlier version?

    Could be, but it is pretty clear to me that the problem is with your
    MTA, not with mailman. Since your MTA is Postfix, and delivery is via
    aliases, this can't be a Mailman (other than aliases) issue because
    the mail is being bounced by Postfix because "Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" which means that
    somehow the aliases for this list are being lost.

    When the problem occurs, are the aliases still in
    /var/mailman/data/aliases? What is the mod time on
    /var/mailman/data/aliases.db? Are all the list's (working and
    non-working) aliases in /var/mailman/data/aliases and nowhere else (eg
    /etc/postfix/lmail/company.aliases or /etc/aliases)?

    I have spent the better part of 6 hours looking for a reason. I've
    checked permissions, not just with checkperms but manually, step by
    step, directory by directory comparing the broken list to a list that
    is known to be working.

    Nothing in Mailman is causing this. It is postfix that 'forgets' how to
    deliver to qvc-requests at mail.mailserver.com. Apparently deleting and
    recreating the list fixes the problem because it runs Postfix's
    /usr/sbin/postalias command abd rebuilds /var/mailman/data/aliases.db
    from /var/mailman/data/aliases. Probably just running postalias would
    fix it too without the pain of recreating the list.

    <stuff not relevant to the issue snipped>
[...]

    Mailman locks aren't relevant to this.

    main.cf shows: alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/lmail/
    company.aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases

    Looks OK to me, but I'm not a postfix guy?

    Where else can I check?
    Something is happening when Postfix is restarted that is causing this,
    but I don't know what or why. I'm guessing the
    /var/mailman/data/aliases.db file gets modified somehow using data
    other than that in /var/mailman/data/aliases, but I have no idea how
    this can happen.

    But, I can tell you, look to Postfix, not Mailman. Other than
    /var/mailman/data/aliases*, there's nothing in Mailman that's relevant
    to this issue.

  • Carconni at Aug 3, 2007 at 5:35 am
    Hi Mark,

    Thank you for your advice and I will certainly look into what postfix
    is doing. In addition, I'll try your suggestion to run postalias to
    see if that corrects the problem. I've now had 3 more lists become
    undeliverable. They are all in the /var/mailman/data/alias file, so
    I'll keep digging.

    The other thing that troubles me is that I can't figure out why lists
    are loosing members. When the mailserver bounced tuesday, users
    added several days beforehand disappeared from the list. The users
    were re-added, only for the problem to reoccur after a server
    restart. I should point out this isn't occurring with the lists that
    became undeliverable, maybe it's a coincidence, and the 2 are unrelated.

    I'll update the list with what I find - and thank you again for
    taking the time help me.

    Carconni

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 3, 2007 at 3:07 pm

    carconni wrote:
    The other thing that troubles me is that I can't figure out why lists
    are loosing members.

    Check the lists' bounce processing settings and look at Mailman's
    'bounce' and 'smtp-failure' logs.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 2, '07 at 10:14p