FAQ
At least a couple (maybe all) of my lists are not sending out the
digest automatically. I can see the digest.mbox file and it is up to
date, but a couple of weeks old. Subscribers who have chosen digest
mode alerted me that they weren't getting messages.

I looked at one list and the threshold is set to 200 KB and daily if
the threshold is not reached.

I know there is a senddigests cron, but how does this actually work,
and what could be the reason that no lists are sending the digest
unless I manually choose that it be sent?

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Aug 2, 2007 at 9:48 pm

    On 8/2/07, Christopher Adams wrote:

    I know there is a senddigests cron, but how does this actually work,
    and what could be the reason that no lists are sending the digest
    unless I manually choose that it be sent?
    Did you search the FAQ wizard on this matter?

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>

    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
  • Christopher Adams at Aug 2, 2007 at 11:18 pm
    Actually, I have read the FAQ, but didn't seem to reap any useful
    information in this regard. I did find something in my search of the
    mailman-users list that talks about a corrupt digest.mbox file.
    Before I had a chance to check that out, the digest was sent. Odd.

    So, what controls the time that the daily digest is sent out if the
    threshold hasn't been reached? There is a 'senddigests' script in the
    /mailman/cron directory, but I am at a loss as to when it is fired
    off.

    I can generate digests based on threshold with no problem, and I know
    the daily delivery problem is happening with more than one list, so
    what else to look for?


    On 8/2/07, Brad Knowles wrote:
    On 8/2/07, Christopher Adams wrote:

    I know there is a senddigests cron, but how does this actually work,
    and what could be the reason that no lists are sending the digest
    unless I manually choose that it be sent?
    Did you search the FAQ wizard on this matter?

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>

    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Christopher Adams at Aug 2, 2007 at 11:58 pm
    Okay, I think I found it. I'm not sure how I missed it during install.
    I didn't find the answer in the FAQ, but rather in the Mailman install
    doc:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node41.html

    So, I have installed the mailman crontab and the digests that haven't
    been sent by reaching the threshold should now be sent out at 12 am
    every night.
    On 8/2/07, Christopher Adams wrote:
    Actually, I have read the FAQ, but didn't seem to reap any useful
    information in this regard. I did find something in my search of the
    mailman-users list that talks about a corrupt digest.mbox file.
    Before I had a chance to check that out, the digest was sent. Odd.

    So, what controls the time that the daily digest is sent out if the
    threshold hasn't been reached? There is a 'senddigests' script in the
    /mailman/cron directory, but I am at a loss as to when it is fired
    off.

    I can generate digests based on threshold with no problem, and I know
    the daily delivery problem is happening with more than one list, so
    what else to look for?


    On 8/2/07, Brad Knowles wrote:
    On 8/2/07, Christopher Adams wrote:

    I know there is a senddigests cron, but how does this actually work,
    and what could be the reason that no lists are sending the digest
    unless I manually choose that it be sent?
    Did you search the FAQ wizard on this matter?

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>

    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 3, 2007 at 1:03 am

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    So, I have installed the mailman crontab and the digests that haven't
    been sent by reaching the threshold should now be sent out at 12 am
    every night.
    Actually, with the default Mailman crontab, they will be sent at noon.
    If you want them at midnight, you need to change the 12 in the
    senddigests crontab entry to 0.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Brad Knowles at Aug 3, 2007 at 12:34 am

    On 8/2/07, Christopher Adams wrote:

    So, what controls the time that the daily digest is sent out if the
    threshold hasn't been reached? There is a 'senddigests' script in the
    /mailman/cron directory, but I am at a loss as to when it is fired
    off.
    You have to put that cron job in your crontab, usually for the root
    user. If not for root, then at least for the mailman user.

    If your digest exceeds the maximum size you set, then Mailman will go
    ahead and fire off a digest anyway, even if you haven't reached the
    deadline.


    If you've got problems with digests, the first thing to look for is
    the cron jobs.

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>

    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 2, '07 at 6:58p
activeAug 3, '07 at 1:03a
posts6
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase