Mailman Makefile contains:
----------------------------------
.if defined(WITH_SENDMAIL)
MAIL_GID?= mailnull
.endif
------------------------------------
But after installation (FreeBSD 6.2, /usr/ports/mail/mailman) when I send
any message
to mailman list I receive the error:
-----Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mailwrapper script to be
executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as group "mailnull". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script
as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.--------------
What (and how!) can I do to set MAIL_GID= mailnull?

If I understand I'll describe this in detail for mailman users!

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 2, 2007 at 4:18 am

    Geo wrote:
    Mailman Makefile contains:
    ----------------------------------
    .if defined(WITH_SENDMAIL)
    MAIL_GID?= mailnull
    .endif
    ------------------------------------

    This is not our Makefile. I can only guess that it is a FreeBSD port
    Makefile.

    But after installation (FreeBSD 6.2, /usr/ports/mail/mailman) when I send
    any message
    to mailman list I receive the error:
    -----Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mailwrapper script to be
    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
    script as group "mailnull". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script
    as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.--------------
    What (and how!) can I do to set MAIL_GID= mailnull?

    If I understand I'll describe this in detail for mailman users!

    I answered this question as best as I could a few days ago. The answer
    is at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-July/057812.html>.
    If you have questions about my answer, please be specific as to what
    they are.

    Otherwise, this is a FreeBSD issue and you might have better luck
    persuing it using FreeBSD resources.

  • Carl Zwanzig at Aug 2, 2007 at 3:46 pm

    In a flurry of recycled electrons, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    This is not our Makefile. I can only guess that it is a FreeBSD port
    Makefile.
    But after installation (FreeBSD 6.2, /usr/ports/mail/mailman) when I send
    Yep, it's a FreeBSD port. While I run both free and open bsd, I've found
    that there are a few things better installed from original source.
    Mailman is one of them. The only thing that the port really gives is
    the uname/group consistent with fbsd standards. You can easily pull that
    out of the makefile.

    (ISTR that the tcl port lags the actual release a bit, too. Can't think
    of the others off hand.)

    z!
  • Barry Finkel at Aug 2, 2007 at 5:16 pm

    Yep, it's a FreeBSD port. While I run both free and open bsd, I've
    found that there are a few things better installed from original
    source. Mailman is one of them.
    Look at the changes that FreeBSD has made. You will probably find
    some that you do not understand. I did the same with Ubuntu, and
    most of the changes were not documented, so I had no idea why they
    were made.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994
  • Geo at Aug 3, 2007 at 11:42 am
    Thanks!
    Now I can see the problem in detail...(It's seems.to me..)
    I installed FreeBSD6.2 by FTP from ftp.freebsd.org and installed Mailman
    by the port /usr/ports/mail/mailman (after #portsnap fetch, #portsnap
    extract).
    During installation I choosed SENDMAIL option by indikator in MTA select
    window
    but command #make -V MAIL_GID show empty string (both before and after
    installation):
    ...--with-mail-gid= --with-cgi-gid=www
    and so on..
    Can I set MAIL_GID=mailnull by make-utility or anyway?
    I am ready show step by step of my actions...

    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

    Searchable Archives:
    Unsubscribe:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/fbsdolot%40cit.ru

    Security Policy:
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 3, 2007 at 2:57 pm

    Geo wrote:
    Now I can see the problem in detail...(It's seems.to me..)
    I installed FreeBSD6.2 by FTP from ftp.freebsd.org and installed Mailman
    by the port /usr/ports/mail/mailman (after #portsnap fetch, #portsnap
    extract).
    During installation I choosed SENDMAIL option by indikator in MTA select
    window
    but command #make -V MAIL_GID show empty string (both before and after
    installation):
    ...--with-mail-gid= --with-cgi-gid=www
    and so on..
    Can I set MAIL_GID=mailnull by make-utility or anyway?
    I am ready show step by step of my actions...

    This is not our Makefile. We don't know what it looks like. We can't
    tell you how to make it work.

    There is probably some way you can rerun the relevant portion of the
    Makefile with the correct setting, but we don't know what it is. If
    you can't figure it out for yourself, the place to go for help is to
    the support resources of whoever made the port you are installing.

  • Carl Zwanzig at Aug 3, 2007 at 4:32 pm

    Geo wrote:
    I installed FreeBSD6.2 by FTP from ftp.freebsd.org and installed Mailman
    This is not our Makefile. We don't know what it looks like. We can't
    tell you how to make it work.
    To repeat myself, the solution is to -not- use the freebsd port. Install
    mailman from it's source, using it's procedures. You'll have less headaches.

    The bsd ports/packages system is a wonderful thing, IMHO better than
    pretty much all of the linux-based ones, but sometimes a software
    package just installs better from it's released source code or sometimes
    you need a compile option that just isn't handled by the port makefiles.
    /usr/local/src can be your friend :-)

    z!
    part-time bsd geek
  • Brad Knowles at Aug 4, 2007 at 12:51 am