A problem that seems strange at the moment: I have two lists, each set up in the same way to use private archives. Mail has been sent to both lists, and these messages are archived (as evidenced by checking the files from the shell) In one case, however, I can access the archives through the web interface, whilst in the other case I get the message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /pipermail/listname/ on this server.
---
Apache Server at www.domainname.org Port 443

This problematic list is newly created, but as I say, it is performing fine and messages are being sent/received/stored.

This system has worked so well for the last 12 months that I've not done any mailman administration for that long - so apologies now if it's a basic error.

Any ideas on what I can do to get web based archive access on this other list?

Thanks,

Jon

your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evtD106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 23, 2007 at 8:22 pm

    Jon Loose wrote:
    A problem that seems strange at the moment: I have two lists, each set up in the same way to use private archives. Mail has been sent to both lists, and these messages are archived (as evidenced by checking the files from the shell) In one case, however, I can access the archives through the web interface, whilst in the other case I get the message:

    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /pipermail/listname/ on this server.
    ---
    Apache Server at www.domainname.org Port 443

    Mailman seems to think that this list has a public archive. At least it
    is generating (somewhere) a public archive URL for this list, and
    there is an archives/public/listname symlink or you'd be getting a
    "not found" error. It is unclear what the problem is, but I am
    guessing it is a combination of the list's Archiving
    Options->archive_private being set to 'public', and the
    archives/private directory not being 'world searchable' or owned by
    the web server.

    I expect you can access this list's archives via a private URL of the
    form <http://www.example.com/mailman/private/listname>, and I also
    suspect that changing the list's Archiving Options->archive_private to
    'private' will fix the problem by using private archive URLs of the
    above form in archive links.

    Whether you need to adjust ownership and/or permissions of
    archives/private depends on whether you ever want to have any public
    archives. See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.

  • Jon Loose at Jul 23, 2007 at 8:25 pm
    Mark,

    Your understanding from afar is better than the evidence of my own eyes! I had checked the public/private setting, and so when I read your message, I thought that it was probably incorrect. However, going back, I see it is in fact set 'public' and changing the setting fixes it.

    Thanks so much for such a rapid and helpful response!

    Jon

[...]

    now.
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

groupmailman-users @