2) Individual identical messages sent separately to different lists

Is this possible without resorting to a clue-by-four for the offending users?

Nothing popped up in a FAQ and archive search.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 23, 2007 at 9:57 pm

    Bryan Carbonnell wrote:
    Is there anyway to prevent posts from being cross posted across
    several lists on the same Mailman installation?

    I'm running into 2 situations that i'd like to prevent

    1) Cross-posting with several list names in the to or cc headers
    2) Individual identical messages sent separately to different lists

    Is this possible without resorting to a clue-by-four for the offending users?

    There's no configuration setting to accomplish this. You could possibly
    accomplish 1) by putting some regexp(s) in header_filter_rules for To:
    and Cc: headers to recognize 'foreign' list names, but this would be a
    maintenance headache unless list names were very stable.

    I think 1) might best be accomplished by creating a custom handler (see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>)
    to collect all the addresses from To: and Cc: in the local domain and
    see if more than one local part matches a list name.

    2) is much more difficult as the first message would probably always be
    accepted. Also, the Message-ID: might be different across the messages
    making that not a reliable indication of a duplicate. You might make
    your custom handler create a hash of the message body and save recent
    ones in some kind of data store along with info about the list,
    sender, etc. and then check each new post to see if it matches one
    already accepted.

  • Bryan Carbonnell at Jul 24, 2007 at 10:28 am
    Thanks Mark for the good suggestions.

    I didn't think there was an easy solution besides the clue-by-four.

    I guess I be reading and contemplating a custom handler.

    Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
    shouting "What a great ride!"

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 23, '07 at 9:43a
activeJul 24, '07 at 10:28a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Bryan Carbonnell: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post