Hello,

In order to utilize my site's dynamic header, footer, banner ad programs,
etc., I am generating the mailman HTML enveloping content with a Perl script,
and calling mailman's cgi scripts, as appropriate, using a shell command.
Example below:

$listinfo_output = `/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo`;

Note backticks to invoke this script from the shell in my Perl script.

This successfully loads the variable "$listinfo_output" with the output from
the mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo command, from there I can print or extract
content from the HTML as useful.

My problem is, to get any list-specific output from the mailman/cgi-bin/*
scripts, I need to be able to pass the listname to the script - and I can't
figure out how to do this with the shell command. If I follow the standard
syntax from the web (e.g. `/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo/somelist`) the
shell looks for a non-existent program in the non-existent listinfo directory
(listinfo is, of course, a script).

Using the scheme outlined above, how can I pass the listname to the various
cgi-bin scripts from mailman to capture their list-specific output for
customized pages?

I do realize there are templates for customizing the HTML, but these are not
useful for server side include files and scripts, on which my site depends
heavily.

Thanks in advance... :o)

Bob R

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 17, 2007 at 6:40 pm

    BobLaJolla wrote:
    My problem is, to get any list-specific output from the mailman/cgi-bin/*
    scripts, I need to be able to pass the listname to the script - and I can't
    figure out how to do this with the shell command. If I follow the standard
    syntax from the web (e.g. `/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo/somelist`) the
    shell looks for a non-existent program in the non-existent listinfo directory
    (listinfo is, of course, a script).

    Using the scheme outlined above, how can I pass the listname to the various
    cgi-bin scripts from mailman to capture their list-specific output for
    customized pages?

    You need to do what your web server does. Namely, in the above example,
    it sets

    PATH_INFO='/somelist'

    in the environment it passes to the CGI. In general, an HTTP GET for a
    URL like <http://example.com/mailman/wrapper/more/stuff?query> will
    result in the web server setting

    PATH_INFO='/more/stuff'
    QUERY_STRING='query'

    (and a bunch of other stuff, most of which we don't look at) in the
    environment it passes to the wrapper.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 17, '07 at 5:49p