FAQ
I have over 500 lists that were migrated a couple of weeks ago to a
new server. When configuring, I tinkered with the gids until I got it
to work using mail-gid=mailman and cgi-gid=apache. Lists information
was moved to the new server. Everything has been working fine.

When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:

Failed (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
the mail script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to
run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing
the command line option `--with-mail-gid)

I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
message.

I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Christopher Adams at Jul 3, 2007 at 4:13 pm
    Aaron,

    Thanks for the tip, but I'm not quite sure what you mean about the
    'user' in the httpd.conf file.
    On 7/3/07, Aaron Schubert wrote:
    Make sure the user in the httpd.conf file is set to apapche if you configrued mailman with apache. By default apache runs as nobody. Change the httpd.conf file from the user nobody to apache and give it a try.
    "Christopher Adams" <adamsca at gmail.com> 7/3/2007 10:51 AM >>>
    I have over 500 lists that were migrated a couple of weeks ago to a
    new server. When configuring, I tinkered with the gids until I got it
    to work using mail-gid=mailman and cgi-gid=apache. Lists information
    was moved to the new server. Everything has been working fine.

    When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:

    Failed (Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
    the mail script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to
    run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing
    the command line option `--with-mail-gid)

    I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
    is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
    were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
    the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
    message.

    I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
    'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/aaron.schubert%40dhss.mo.gov

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Ruijie He at Jul 3, 2007 at 4:13 pm
    Hi,

    How do I retrieve a lost administrator password? I can't seem to find the
    password reminder tool for administrators, unlike the one available for the
    users.

    Thanks!
    ~RJ
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 3, 2007 at 4:49 pm

    Ruijie He wrote:
    How do I retrieve a lost administrator password? I can't seem to find the
    password reminder tool for administrators, unlike the one available for the
    users.

    There is no password reminder tool for administrators for various
    reasons including the fact that the admin passwords are encrypted.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.008.htp>.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christopher Adams at Jul 3, 2007 at 4:18 pm
    Okay, I found the User and Group specification in httpd.conf file and
    both are already set to 'apache'.
    On 7/3/07, Aaron Schubert wrote:
    Make sure the user in the httpd.conf file is set to apapche if you configrued mailman with apache. By default apache runs as nobody. Change the httpd.conf file from the user nobody to apache and give it a try.
    "Christopher Adams" <adamsca at gmail.com> 7/3/2007 10:51 AM >>>
    I have over 500 lists that were migrated a couple of weeks ago to a
    new server. When configuring, I tinkered with the gids until I got it
    to work using mail-gid=mailman and cgi-gid=apache. Lists information
    was moved to the new server. Everything has been working fine.

    When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:

    Failed (Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
    the mail script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to
    run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing
    the command line option `--with-mail-gid)

    I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
    is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
    were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
    the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
    message.

    I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
    'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/aaron.schubert%40dhss.mo.gov

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 3, 2007 at 4:29 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    I have over 500 lists that were migrated a couple of weeks ago to a
    new server. When configuring, I tinkered with the gids until I got it
    to work using mail-gid=mailman and cgi-gid=apache. Lists information
    was moved to the new server. Everything has been working fine.

    When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:

    Failed (Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
    the mail script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to
    run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing
    the command line option `--with-mail-gid)

    I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
    is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
    were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
    the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
    message.

    This is not related to the ownership of the lists.

    It is also not related to anything in the Apache config.

    I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
    'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

    Maybe, but if that's all you do, the new lists will work and the old
    lists won't.

    Is this Postfix? Are the aliases in two different files?

    Postfix executes the mail wrapper with the user:group of the owner of
    the alias files in which the alias is found.

    If aliases are split in two files with different ownership, one set
    won't work.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Christopher Adams at Jul 3, 2007 at 5:17 pm
    Yep, it's Postfix. Yep, there are two different files.

    /etc/postfix/aliases is owned by root.root
    /etc/postfix/aliases.db is owned by root.root

    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by root.mailman
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by mailman.mailman

    When I first configured Mailman, I tried to use mail-gid=postfix (or
    the GID number) and it didn't work.
    When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:

    Failed (Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
    mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
    the mail script as group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to
    run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing
    the command line option `--with-mail-gid)

    I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
    is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
    were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
    the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
    message.

    This is not related to the ownership of the lists.

    It is also not related to anything in the Apache config.

    I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
    'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

    Maybe, but if that's all you do, the new lists will work and the old
    lists won't.

    Is this Postfix? Are the aliases in two different files?

    Postfix executes the mail wrapper with the user:group of the owner of
    the alias files in which the alias is found.

    If aliases are split in two files with different ownership, one set
    won't work.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

    --
    Christopher Adams
    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 3, 2007 at 5:42 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    Yep, it's Postfix. Yep, there are two different files.

    /etc/postfix/aliases is owned by root.root
    /etc/postfix/aliases.db is owned by root.root

    Since Postfix won't run pipes as root, pipe aliases found in these
    files will be run as group 'nobody'.

    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by root.mailman
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by mailman.mailman

    And pipe aliases found in these files will run as group mailman.


    If you have

    MTA = 'Postfix'

    Mailman will automatically maintain the aliases in
    /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases* as you create and delete lists. You
    will not need, nor should you have any Mailman aliases in
    /etc/postfix/aliases*.

    If all your Mailman aliases are in /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases*
    with the current ownership, you won't have any further mail group
    mismatch problems.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 3, '07 at 3:51p
activeJul 3, '07 at 5:42p
posts8
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase