I need to build a new mailman server. What is the best/easiest way to
migrate lists (and their archives) to the new machine? Something that
used rsync would be nice so I could keep things as up to date as possible
and then do a final rsync right before the migration.

This is definitely something that needs to be done slowly and kept up with,
our archives are currently 26GB in size. ;)

The other thing is, a previous admin tried to clear out the archives for
a couple of lists, and now the new messages are no longer archived. How
do I repair these broken archives?

Thanks,

-brian
--
"Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 15, 2007 at 12:03 am

    Brian Hechinger wrote:
    I need to build a new mailman server. What is the best/easiest way to
    migrate lists (and their archives) to the new machine? Something that
    used rsync would be nice so I could keep things as up to date as possible
    and then do a final rsync right before the migration.

    The directories you need to rsync are Mailman's lists/ and
    archives/private/ directories. If you're concerned about held
    messages, you can also do the data/ directory, but it may be better to
    approve/reject/discard any held messages during the final switchover
    after stopping the MTA and before the final rsync.

    When you're ready to do the final switchover, shut down the incoming
    MTA on the old box, wait for Mailman to process all its queues, do the
    rsync and finally change DNS or whatever to have the new box take over.
    The other thing is, a previous admin tried to clear out the archives for
    a couple of lists, and now the new messages are no longer archived. How
    do I repair these broken archives?

    First, is the list's Archiving Options->archive set to Yes?

    Are some lists being archived? If so, good, but if not, is ArchRunner
    running (ps -fAw | grep qrunner)?

    What's in Mailman's error log?

  • Brian Hechinger at Jun 15, 2007 at 1:13 pm

    The directories you need to rsync are Mailman's lists/ and
    archives/private/ directories. If you're concerned about held
    Ok, good, that's easy enough.
    messages, you can also do the data/ directory, but it may be better to
    approve/reject/discard any held messages during the final switchover
    after stopping the MTA and before the final rsync.
    Most people don't bother cleaning out there held messages. This will be
    a good chance to get rid of those. :)
    When you're ready to do the final switchover, shut down the incoming
    MTA on the old box, wait for Mailman to process all its queues, do the
    rsync and finally change DNS or whatever to have the new box take over.
    Yeah, this part is the portion I'm comforable with, just didn't know what
    exactly should be copied over.
    First, is the list's Archiving Options->archive set to Yes?

    Are some lists being archived? If so, good, but if not, is ArchRunner
    running (ps -fAw | grep qrunner)?
    Archives work for all lists. Archives worked fine up until the previous
    mailing list admin (actually a desktop fellow who was new to linux, yay)
    did his "magic".
    What's in Mailman's error log?
    Ah ha! He made the mbox files owned by root, not mailman. ooops!

    -brian
    --
    "Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
    In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just
    that most of the shit out there is built by people who'd be better
    suited to making sure that my burger is cooked thoroughly." -- Jonathan Patschke

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 14, '07 at 6:53p
activeJun 15, '07 at 1:13p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Brian Hechinger: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post