Any advice would be helpful.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 5, 2007 at 8:45 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    I have moved a list from another mailman installation. I moved the
    list files and the archives and then ran fix_url. Everything looks
    good except for the To: address in individual messages in the archive.
    It still has the old URL/mail address. Also, the link labeled 'More
    Info on this List...." still points to the old URL.

    So, what else do I need to do? Does the arch utility take care of
    this? It was my understanding that the arch utility was for rebuilding
    an archive after editing it or removing messages. Also, the
    documentation says something like this:

    /bin/arch mylist archives/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox

    My lists don't have a mylist.mbox file in the mylist.mbox directory.
    Any advice would be helpful.

    You don't have the mylist.mbox file, because you didn't move it from
    the old installation. It was really the only archive file you needed
    to move. Without it, you can't rebuild the archives, and rebuilding is
    the way to fix the issues above.

    If you can get the .mbox file, then simply running

    bin/arch --wipe mylist

    will recreate the HTML archive and will fix the 'More Info on this
    List....' links. However, it is a good idea to first check the .mbox
    for unescaped From_ lines using bin/cleanarch.

    Where are you seeing the To: address in individual messages in the
    archive? Normally the HTML archive contains no message headers. If you
    are seeing this in quotes of prior posts, the only way to change that
    is to edit the .mbox prior to running bin/arch.

  • Christopher Adams at Jun 5, 2007 at 9:41 pm
    Mark,

    Yes, you're right about the list.mbox file. This was given to me by
    someone else and I was surprised that the mbox file wasn't included.
    Does this mean that a new mbox file will be created with the next
    post? How do messages append to the archive if there is no mbox file?
    I have other lists that have been archiving for years and have no mbox
    file. I guess I am a bit confused by the use of the mbox file for
    archives.

    adamsca at gmail.com
  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 5, 2007 at 10:37 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    Yes, you're right about the list.mbox file. This was given to me by
    someone else and I was surprised that the mbox file wasn't included.
    Does this mean that a new mbox file will be created with the next
    post?

    Yes, but it will contain only that and subsequent posts. It won't
    contain any of the prior posts.

    How do messages append to the archive if there is no mbox file?

    The pipermail archives and the .mbox file are independent. What is
    maintained as messages are posted depends on the setting of
    ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX. Defaults.py has the following

    # ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX
    #-1 - do not do any archiving
    # 0 - do not archive to mbox, use builtin mailman html archiving only
    # 1 - archive to mbox to use an external archiving mechanism only
    # 2 - archive to both mbox and builtin mailman html archiving -
    # use this to make both external archiving mechanism work and
    # mailman's builtin html archiving. the flat mail file can be
    # useful for searching, external archivers, etc.
    ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 2

    The references to external archiving assume that an external archiver
    will use the .mbox file, but this isn't necessarily the case.

    The default setting archives messages to both the .mbox and the
    pipermail archive. The pipermail archive can be rebuilt from the
    .mbox, but not vice versa

    I have other lists that have been archiving for years and have no mbox
    file. I guess I am a bit confused by the use of the mbox file for
    archives.

    It seems that perhaps you have (had) set ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX to 0 in
    mm_cfg.py.

    If you don't have a .mbox file, it is possible to create one by
    concatenating all the periodic .txt files, but there are problems with
    this as email addresses may have been obscured and many of the
    original message headers are missing.

    In the absense of any .mbox file, the only way to fix the listinfo
    links in the HTML archive is by editing the individual HTML files.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 5, '07 at 7:11p
activeJun 5, '07 at 10:37p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Christopher Adams: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts