I have an issue where user send out an email, that usually has html formatting in it, or as stationary background, it is sent out twice. The second time it is sent out the formatting is gone, the background is gone, and the name on the email is usually the "real" name, vs. the display name that usually shows. On top of that there are attachments that were not on the first email. If there was stationary the .gif that was the stationary is there. Here is an example of the other names of files that are attached:

GWAVADAT.TXT
4#Part.003
3#Part.002
GWAVA_2#Text.htm

If anyone can tell me what I need to do to keep the second email going out to users I would really appreciate it. Another FYI, not all user receive these duplicate emails, but it seems like the majority do. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lisa

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 1, 2007 at 2:53 am

    Lisa Phillips wrote:
    I have an issue where user send out an email, that usually has html formatting in it, or as stationary background, it is sent out twice. The second time it is sent out the formatting is gone, the background is gone, and the name on the email is usually the "real" name, vs. the display name that usually shows. On top of that there are attachments that were not on the first email. If there was stationary the .gif that was the stationary is there. Here is an example of the other names of files that are attached:

    GWAVADAT.TXT
    4#Part.003
    3#Part.002
    GWAVA_2#Text.htm

    Some if not all of these names are made up by the MUA that is
    displaying the mail. These attachments may or may not be shown in the
    mail view as well.

    If anyone can tell me what I need to do to keep the second email going out to users I would really appreciate it. Another FYI, not all user receive these duplicate emails, but it seems like the majority do. I would appreciate any suggestions.

    What we need to see to diagnose this further is copies of the raw
    messages, i.e. the actual message source with all headers and mime
    structure intact. Ideally we would like to see three messages, the
    message as sent to the list and both copies as received from the list,
    although just the latter two would help.

  • Mark Sapiro at May 4, 2007 at 10:20 pm

    Lisa Phillips wrote:
    Thank you for responding. I can provide the messages sent to the list, but
    not the one as sent to the list. I am also going to see if the first one
    caused some bounces from some of the members (they usually always do), and
    I'll send that in a separate email. Please let me know if you have any
    suggestions.

    I see from the messages, that this is a cPanel Mailman (2.1.9-cp1). I
    don't think this duplication is a cPanel issue per se (see below).
    Also see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&fileúq06.011.htp>.

    There was a somewhat different cPanel issue I worked on a while back
    that caused duplication of images within an email as opposed to
    duplicate messages, and that cPanel bug was triggered by the addition
    of msg_footer to the message. See
    <http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?ta603> (requires
    registration) for my (unanswered) report of this, but I don't think
    that that is this issue.

    Thank you for including the two messages. That is very helpful.

    The MIME structure of the first message is

    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
    image/gif
    image/jpeg
    text/plain

    This structure is not really correct, but it may have been munged by
    Mailman's content filtering in some way. Given what this actually is
    with the gif and jpeg images referenced by the html via Content-ID:, I
    think the actual message structure should be

    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    multipart/related
    text/html
    image/gif
    image/jpeg
    text/plain

    I don't think this is related to the duplication however.

    The second message appears to be a newly created message based on the
    first message. While many of the headers of the first message are
    copied verbatim in the second message, and the content of most of the
    elemental parts is the same, several things stand out.

    The Message-ID: is different. The From: header has had the real name
    removed from the email address as you noted originally. The MIME
    boundary is different. Parts are added. The MIME structure is
    different. It is

    multipart/mixed
    text/plain
    text/html
    image/gif
    image/jpeg
    application/octet-stream
    text/plain
    text/plain

    The application/octet-stream part appears to be the msg_footer from the
    first message, then there is an added text/plain part with
    filename="GWAVADAT.TXT" and contents

    AdmID:71370CBC7758B07A9A4CF8C0F77AE198

    followed by the new msg_footer.

    The message contains an

    header. The Received: headers indicate it came back to the list via

    by FSBMAIL.FIRSTSOUTHERNBANK.COM with ESMTP;
    Tue, 01 May 2007 14:09:57 -0400

    GWAVA is GroupWise anti-virus, anti-spam, archiving, etc.

    Thus, I think what's happening is that one of the list members
    addresses goes to GroupWise at FIRSTSOUTHERNBANK.COM and this
    GroupWise is munging the message a bit and resending it back to the
    list where it is resent to the members. Why this only seems to happen
    with some list mail, I don't know.

    It seems like there should be some setting that would prevent users from
    receiving html formatted emails, which I think is what happening for the
    first email. Let me know what you think, and thanks a million for your
    help.

    There is no list member setting to prevent receiving HTML email. The
    list has content filtering options that can be used to remove HTML and
    images from all posts so no one receives any HTML.

    For example, if you set filter_content On and put

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain

    in pass_mime_types, only text/plain parts will be passed through to the
    list.

    Oh, one more question.. should I just reply to you on this, or the
    entire list?

    Replying to the list or copying the list in a reply-all is normally the
    way to reply.

    The exceptions to this (this might have been one of them) are when the
    reply contains emails or whatever with personal or domain information
    that you don't want in a public archive and when the detailed
    information in the reply (such as copies of emails) is very large.

    In this case, your copy to the list was held I think because it
    exceeded the maximum post size. It may yet be approved unless you
    delete it first (instructions were in the 'held' notice you should
    have received).

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 1, '07 at 12:56a
activeMay 4, '07 at 10:20p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Lisa Phillips: 1 post