I am running mailman 2.1.9.cp2 and have an ongoing issue I can't find an
solution for. There are a number of people who have unsubscribed to my
list, yet they continue to receive monthly password reminders. A few months
ago I even disabled the password reminder for the list as a whole, and that
works for all the subscribed users, yet the old unsubscribed users still
continue to receive reminders! I verified once again today that these users
are not subscribed. They themselves have no access to the user admin stuff,
even with the password mailman just sent them and they receive no other
email traffic from the list, just the password reminders.

Any idea what is causing this, and how to fix the problem? I am about to
just remove the password reminder cron entry, which I know disables
reminders for all list, unless someone has a clue what is going on here. An
archive search shows no help for this issue, though it has been mentioned
before.

jim

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at May 2, 2007 at 2:35 am

    Jim Miller wrote:
[...]

    There have been past reports of this, and the ones that haven't been
    resolved are from cPanel installations.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

    It's even worse than just unsubscribed members still getting reminders.
    See
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-February/055638.html>
    for a report of users receiving reminders from a deleted list.

  • Jim Miller at May 2, 2007 at 3:25 pm
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I do have a ticket opened with cpanel. I was
    hoping that I might get some insight on this issue here as well, since I did
    see some old inquiries about this same problem in the archives, and it was
    not related to cpanel installs. I did not see resolution to any of those
    older archive issues. I have no idea how the password reminder script is
    coming up with these old/deleted users to send them reminders, they simply
    do not seem to even exist anywhere! For now, I have just removed the
    reminder script from being called by cron, seems brute force may be the only
    solution!

    jim

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at May 2, 2007 at 5:20 pm

    Jim Miller wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I do have a ticket opened with cpanel. I was
    hoping that I might get some insight on this issue here as well, since I did
    see some old inquiries about this same problem in the archives, and it was
    not related to cpanel installs. I did not see resolution to any of those
    older archive issues.

    Generally, as Brad noted in another reply, in a Mailman from source
    installation, this issue comes about because the site decides to
    install an upgrade in a new location, and the old crontab running the
    old cron/mailpasswds against the old lists is left in place.

    I have no idea how the password reminder script is
    coming up with these old/deleted users to send them reminders, they simply
    do not seem to even exist anywhere! For now, I have just removed the
    reminder script from being called by cron, seems brute force may be the only
    solution!

    And it may not even work. I too have no idea how this happens, but
    based on other reports including the one I pointed to in my prior
    reply, there is some cPanel magic involved.

  • Brad Knowles at May 2, 2007 at 4:10 am

    I am running mailman 2.1.9.cp2 and have an ongoing issue I can't find an
    solution for.
    First off, this is a cPanel version. See FAQ 6.11.
    Any idea what is causing this, and how to fix the problem? I am about to
    just remove the password reminder cron entry, which I know disables
    reminders for all list, unless someone has a clue what is going on here. An
    archive search shows no help for this issue, though it has been mentioned
    before.
    I'm guessing you have more than one copy of Mailman installed, and
    that it's the other version which is sending out the notices. Talk
    to your service provider to find out for sure.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 1, '07 at 4:04p
activeMay 2, '07 at 5:20p