Calvin Muller wrote:
Thank you very much, I did actually manage to get it to work. :) Thanks
again very much. If I am sending out a newsletter to people I create the
HTML newsletter in Outlook and then I send it to mailman at hostname.blah it
sends and is archived but how do I add unsubscribe links and personalize the
emails?

Set

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py. Then go to the admin Non-digest options page and set
personalize to Yes or Full as desired and set msg_header and/or
msg_footer as desired. See the "Details for ..." links for a list of
allowable replacements.

Also if on General Options you set include_rfc2369_headers to Yes (and
probably include_list_post_header to No for a 'newsletter') the RFC
2369 List-* headers will be included in messages from Mailman and
these include a List-Unsubscribe: header, but not all MUAs recognize
or display these headers.

  • Zs at Apr 20, 2007 at 5:22 pm

    Mark Sapiro pisze:
    Calvin Muller wrote:

    Thank you very much, I did actually manage to get it to work. :) Thanks
    again very much. If I am sending out a newsletter to people I create the
    HTML newsletter in Outlook and then I send it to mailman at hostname.blah it
    sends and is archived but how do I add unsubscribe links and personalize the
    emails?

    Set

    OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

    in mm_cfg.py. Then go to the admin Non-digest options page and set
    personalize to Yes or Full as desired and set msg_header and/or
    msg_footer as desired. See the "Details for ..." links for a list of
    allowable replacements.
    And restart mailman for the changes to take effect. At least I think you
    need to do it.
    Also if on General Options you set include_rfc2369_headers to Yes (and
    probably include_list_post_header to No for a 'newsletter') the RFC
    2369 List-* headers will be included in messages from Mailman and
    these include a List-Unsubscribe: header, but not all MUAs recognize
    or display these headers.
    And be aware of one more thing - personalization comes at a price. If
    you have many users and send relatively big newsletter (say each message
    is about 200KB) and you have many users, your mail server must have a
    bit of RAM. Otherwise, it will have hard time trying to swallow a couple
    hundred of emails in a very short period time.

    There's a setting to limit the number of emails mailman passes to a
    mailserver in one go. I don't remember it off hand, though.

    Warm regards,

    Zbigniew Szalbot
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 20, 2007 at 6:35 pm

    zs wrote:
    Mark Sapiro pisze:
    Set

    OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

    in mm_cfg.py. Then go to the admin Non-digest options page and set
    personalize to Yes or Full as desired and set msg_header and/or
    msg_footer as desired. See the "Details for ..." links for a list of
    allowable replacements.
    And restart mailman for the changes to take effect. At least I think you
    need to do it.

    I don't think you do in this case. Of course, it never hurts to restart
    mailman after changing mm_cfg.py (unless you made a mistake, but still
    better to find it now), and often it is required, but it is only
    necessary if the things you changed affect mail processing.

    The web CGIs are loaded each time they are used so they always read the
    current mm_cfg.py. Also, the list configuration is loaded each time it
    is used, so if you are only changing things that affect the web UI and
    then changing list settings via the web UI, you don't need to restart
    Mailman.

    There's a setting to limit the number of emails mailman passes to a
    mailserver in one go. I don't remember it off hand, though.

    I think you are thinking of SMTP_MAX_RCPTS which controls the maximum
    number of recipients (RCPT commands) for one SMTP transaction from
    Mailman. This has no effect for a personalized list since if the list
    is personalized, the post is sent to each member in a separate
    transaction since the message is personalized - i.e., each SMTP
    transaction has exactly one recipient.

  • Zbigniew Szalbot at Apr 20, 2007 at 6:45 pm
    Dear Mark,

    Thanks for correcting me!

    There's a setting to limit the number of emails mailman passes to a
    mailserver in one go. I don't remember it off hand, though.
    I think you are thinking of SMTP_MAX_RCPTS which controls the maximum
    number of recipients (RCPT commands) for one SMTP transaction from
    Mailman. This has no effect for a personalized list since if the list
    is personalized, the post is sent to each member in a separate
    transaction since the message is personalized - i.e., each SMTP
    transaction has exactly one recipient.
    But isn't there a setting you can use to limit how many emails are
    passed to MTA before mailman pauses a bit? I know I am not really using
    technical jargon here but I thought there was a way to control how fast
    emails are passed to an MTA.

    Thanks!

    Zbigniew Szalbot
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 20, 2007 at 7:00 pm

    Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
    But isn't there a setting you can use to limit how many emails are
    passed to MTA before mailman pauses a bit? I know I am not really using
    technical jargon here but I thought there was a way to control how fast
    emails are passed to an MTA.

    No. There is no such delay or throttling setting in Mailman.

  • Brad Knowles at Apr 20, 2007 at 7:41 pm