FAQ
Hi

On a list the email address for the list owner was changed.

1. When logging on to admin/listname the old owner run by address is shown on
the Administrator Authentication page.
2. Clicking on the run by address in the Administrator Authentication page
causes the old address to be passed to mail program.
3. On the Mailing list general options page the new owners run by address is
shown.
4 Clicking on the run by address in Mailing list general options page causes
the old address to be passed to mail program.
5. All other pages are as 1 & 2 unless they are reloaded. Following reload
they behave as 3&4.
6. After logout state 5 is again applicable.

Solutions anyone?

david
fmailman-2.1.9_1
postfix-2.4.0,1

Search Discussions

  • Brad Knowles at Apr 19, 2007 at 7:35 pm

    At 5:23 AM -0700 4/19/07, David Southwell wrote:

    1. When logging on to admin/listname the old owner run by address is shown on
    the Administrator Authentication page.
    2. Clicking on the run by address in the Administrator Authentication page
    causes the old address to be passed to mail program.
    3. On the Mailing list general options page the new owners run by address is
    shown.
    4 Clicking on the run by address in Mailing list general options page causes
    the old address to be passed to mail program.
    5. All other pages are as 1 & 2 unless they are reloaded. Following reload
    they behave as 3&4.
    6. After logout state 5 is again applicable.
    Hmm. This sounds like it might be related to the kinds of problems
    discussed in FAQ 4.45, 4.65, and 4.71, although I may be wrong. You
    should at least check them out and follow the relevant links that are
    provided.

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>
  • David Southwell at Apr 19, 2007 at 8:30 pm

    On Thursday 19 April 2007 12:35:28 Brad Knowles wrote:
    At 5:23 AM -0700 4/19/07, David Southwell wrote:
    1. When logging on to admin/listname the old owner run by address is
    shown on the Administrator Authentication page.
    2. Clicking on the run by address in the Administrator Authentication
    page causes the old address to be passed to mail program.
    3. On the Mailing list general options page the new owners run by
    address is shown.
    4 Clicking on the run by address in Mailing list general options page
    causes the old address to be passed to mail program.
    5. All other pages are as 1 & 2 unless they are reloaded. Following
    reload they behave as 3&4.
    6. After logout state 5 is again applicable.
    Hmm. This sounds like it might be related to the kinds of problems
    discussed in FAQ 4.45, 4.65, and 4.71, although I may be wrong. You
    should at least check them out and follow the relevant links that are
    provided.
    Thanks for your input BUT...

    UMPh - nothing like the circumstances referred to in any of the FAQ,s which
    focus on the need for reauthentication . The circumstances I describe, have
    nothing to do with that issue as the need for re-authorization does not
    occur.

    This seems to be a bug where the [list-owner_ID] is not being properly
    maintained. I realize I have a possible clue that may help someone who is
    familiar with mailman's logic. The original email address for the owner was
    given in error. It was an email address that would not have been validatable!
    Does that help anyone to get to the bottom of this?
    david
  • Jeffrey Goldberg at Apr 19, 2007 at 8:32 pm

    On Apr 19, 2007, at 3:30 PM, David Southwell wrote:

    This seems to be a bug where the [list-owner_ID] is not being properly
    maintained. I realize I have a possible clue that may help someone
    who is
    familiar with mailman's logic. The original email address for the
    owner was
    given in error. It was an email address that would not have been
    validatable!
    Does that help anyone to get to the bottom of this?
    Can you please post the result of

    ls -la mailman/data

    As I understand things, you installed mailman from FreeBSD ports. Am
    I correct in that assumption?

    If you did, did you modify the Makefile or use any special settings
    when installing?

    Did you use the Postfix option when installing mailman from ports?

    If so the mailman wrapper should have been compiled with mail-gid=nobody

    Did you also install postfix from ports? Did you modify the
    installation process at all? Postfix (at least the version installed
    with ports on FreeBSD is happy to have the various aliases files and
    databases owned by "nobody"

    Anyway, answering these questions should help clear things up.
    Especially give that directly listing I asked for.

    Cheers,

    -j
  • Brad Knowles at Apr 19, 2007 at 11:22 pm

    At 1:30 PM -0700 4/19/07, David Southwell wrote:

    UMPh - nothing like the circumstances referred to in any of the FAQ,s which
    focus on the need for reauthentication . The circumstances I describe, have
    nothing to do with that issue as the need for re-authorization does not
    occur.
    Those FAQ entries relate to changes being made in the user interface,
    but not being saved by Mailman, and this kind of problem can have a
    number of different causes.

    I referenced those FAQ entries because your problem sounded vaguely
    similar, albeit not identical.
    This seems to be a bug where the [list-owner_ID] is not being properly
    maintained. I realize I have a possible clue that may help someone who is
    familiar with mailman's logic. The original email address for the owner was
    given in error. It was an email address that would not have been validatable!
    Does that help anyone to get to the bottom of this?
    That's as far as I can go. Maybe Mark or Tokio will have more luck.

    --
    Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>, Consultant & Author
    LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>
    Slides from Invited Talks: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4>
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 19, 2007 at 11:22 pm

    David Southwell wrote:
    On a list the email address for the list owner was changed.

    How?

    1. When logging on to admin/listname the old owner run by address is shown on
    the Administrator Authentication page.

    Sounds like a page cached in a proxy.

    2. Clicking on the run by address in the Administrator Authentication page
    causes the old address to be passed to mail program.

    The target address of the mailto: link is listname-owner at example.com
    regardless of who the owner is.

    3. On the Mailing list general options page the new owners run by address is
    shown.

    What is in the owner box on this page?

    4 Clicking on the run by address in Mailing list general options page causes
    the old address to be passed to mail program.

    What do you mean by the old address? The address should be
    listname-owner at example.com (with appropriate listname and domain) in
    all cases. Changing 'owner' changes the displayed text for the mailto:
    link and it changes the address to which Mailman ultimately delivers
    listname-owner email, but it doesn't change the target of the mailto:
    link.

    5. All other pages are as 1 & 2 unless they are reloaded. Following reload
    they behave as 3&4.
    6. After logout state 5 is again applicable.

    Still sounds like cached pages (outside Mailman), although why cache
    wouldn't be permanently refreshed on a reload, I don't know.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 19, '07 at 12:23p
activeApr 19, '07 at 11:22p
posts6
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase