Hello,

when I send mail a mailinglist using mailman 2.1.5 and postfix 2.1.5 on
a debian sarge system I get:

Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "list", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "root". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "list", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.

I read the FAQ, and the hints about file ownership of the mailman
aliases file in combination with postfix. It is set correctly to user
and owner "list" and 660:
-rw-rw---- 1 list list 6,7K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases
-rw-rw---- 1 list list 12K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases.db

Then I tried to install mailman from source giving --with-mail-gid=list
in case some other file is involved, but that didn't help either.

The wrapper-script has ownership root:list and guid bit set:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root list 6,5K 2006-09-20 14:19 mailman

I just started using mailman, but I believe to have configured
everything as required by the documentation.

What else could be the problem?

Greetings

Neven

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 2, 2007 at 8:45 pm

    Neven Luetic wrote:
    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail
    wrapper script to be executed as group "list", but
    the system's mail server executed the mail script as
    group "root". Try tweaking the mail server to run the
    script as group "list", or re-run configure,
    providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.

    I read the FAQ, and the hints about file ownership of the mailman
    aliases file in combination with postfix. It is set correctly to user
    and owner "list" and 660:
    -rw-rw---- 1 list list 6,7K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases
    -rw-rw---- 1 list list 12K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases.db

    This looks correct assuming that the particular alias in question came
    from the above aliases file and not from /etc/aliases* or some other
    file owned by root.

    Then I tried to install mailman from source giving --with-mail-gid=list
    in case some other file is involved, but that didn't help either.

    You have it backwards. The wrapper already expected group 'list'. You
    would have had to specify --with-mail-gid=root to fix the above
    mismatch. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>.

    The wrapper-script has ownership root:list and guid bit set:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root list 6,5K 2006-09-20 14:19 mailman

    It doesn't look like SETGID is set. It should be -rwxr-sr-x.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 2, 2007 at 10:05 pm

    Neven Luetic wrote:
    Meanwhile I noticed that I get the same error, even if I move the
    mailman file away.

    The group mismatch error is coming from some Mailman mail/mailman
    wrapper, so if you move yours aside and still get the error, Postfix
    is piping to a different wrapper.

    Look at your Postfix configuration and find every alias file it
    references and look in all those files. There is some aliases* file
    somewhere referenced by Postfix and probably owned by root which is
    piping mail for this list to some other wrapper.

  • Neven Luetic at Apr 3, 2007 at 11:55 am

    Meanwhile I noticed that I get the same error, even if I move the
    mailman file away.

    The group mismatch error is coming from some Mailman mail/mailman
    wrapper, so if you move yours aside and still get the error, Postfix
    is piping to a different wrapper.

    Look at your Postfix configuration and find every alias file it
    references and look in all those files. There is some aliases* file
    somewhere referenced by Postfix and probably owned by root which is
    piping mail for this list to some other wrapper.
    I checked the aliases used by postfix and every occurence of
    "mail/mailman" or "mail/wrapper", renamed them all, restarted mailman
    and postfix and - using commandline "mail" from mailx - still got the
    same error!

    After replacing package "mailx" by "mail" the command "mailman" finally
    could not be found as expected. Now with the new source installation of
    mailman everything is ok.

    If You have a sensible explanation for this, I would be interested.
    Seems that the whole installation was pretty broken.

    Thank You for Your help

    Neven

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 2, '07 at 8:04p
activeApr 3, '07 at 11:55a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Neven Luetic: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts