I already have an instance of mailman running with about 100 mailists.
My client is now asking if I could host another domain on the same
server. So basically, I would require two web instances of mailman on
the same box, because the clients are unique.

Is this possible, or will I have to procure and stage another mailman
server?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 29, 2007 at 3:40 am

    Brian Oliver wrote:
    I already have an instance of mailman running with about 100 mailists.
    My client is now asking if I could host another domain on the same
    server. So basically, I would require two web instances of mailman on
    the same box, because the clients are unique.

    Is this possible, or will I have to procure and stage another mailman
    server?

    You don't need a second server. You can run two separate instances of
    Mailman on the same server. This allows the two instances to be
    completely separate and independent. Your web server and MTA have to
    be configured to execute the proper cgi and mail wrappers depending on
    domain.

    Yo can also use Mailman's virtual domain capability to run only one
    instance of Mailman supporting two domains. This does not provide the
    separation of two instances. List names must be unique across the
    installation (going away in 2.2), and it is possible to access the
    other domain's listinfo pages if you know their list names, but the
    listinfo and admin overviews will show only the lists for the
    accessing domain.

  • Brian Oliver at Mar 29, 2007 at 3:55 am
    I think I can sell the virtual domain capabilities to my client. Any
    pointers out there to help get me started? Also, will implementing this
    pose great risk on breaking my existing mailman configurable (meaning
    can I break the entire server by trying to implement this)?

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Brian Oliver wrote:

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 29, 2007 at 4:20 am

    Brian Oliver wrote:
    I think I can sell the virtual domain capabilities to my client. Any
    pointers out there to help get me started? Also, will implementing this
    pose great risk on breaking my existing mailman configurable (meaning
    can I break the entire server by trying to implement this)?

    The Mailman part of it is very simple and easily reversed.

    In Defaults.py you have

    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'

    where the domains are yours or ??

    There is also a

    #####
    # Virtual domains
    #####

    section which you should read and which contains

    Those lines may be repeated in mm_cfg.py with the same or different
    domain names.

    The sole change to Mailman is to add

    add_virtualhost('www2.example.com', 'mail2.example.com')

    to mm_cfg.py where the actual domain names are those of the second
    domain.

    You will also need to set up the web server and MTA for the second
    domains.

    Then you can create lists in the second domain with bin/newlist (see
    bin/newlist --help) or by visiting the mailman/create page from the
    second domain.

  • Brad Knowles at Mar 29, 2007 at 4:07 am

    I already have an instance of mailman running with about 100 mailists.
    My client is now asking if I could host another domain on the same
    server. So basically, I would require two web instances of mailman on
    the same box, because the clients are unique.
    See FAQ 4.47, and then see FAQs 1.22 and 1.23.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 29, '07 at 2:02a
activeMar 29, '07 at 4:20a