FAQ
So, we pretty much successfully moved our mailman installation from the old
Solaris box to the new Red Hat box.

Only one small problem. Of course.

We (and by we, I mean me) had failed to reduce the TTL for the MX record
that points to our mail server, which is now on a new machine. So some
mailman mail is still being delivered to the old machine. I've stopped the
qrunners on that machine, so things are just piling up in the qfiles/in
directory.
From my examination of the files there, 99% of what's coming in is SPAM, so
I don't care about delivering it. But for the remaining 1%, I'd like to
eventually deliver that mail, via the new mailman installation, so that it
ends up archived in the correct place.

Is there any reasonably-straightforward way that I can take the *.db and
*.msg files that I care about and move them to the new installation? Or is
what I really want to do to use bin/inject, passing it the individual .msg
file?

Thanks in advance for any hints...

--
Steve Burling <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR Voice: +1 734 615.3779
330 Packard Street FAX: +1 734 647.8700
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2910

Search Discussions

  • Vancleef at Mar 20, 2007 at 1:02 am
    The esteemed Steve Burling has said:
    So, we pretty much successfully moved our mailman installation from the old
    Solaris box to the new Red Hat box.

    Only one small problem. Of course.

    We (and by we, I mean me) had failed to reduce the TTL for the MX record
    that points to our mail server, which is now on a new machine. So some
    mailman mail is still being delivered to the old machine. I've stopped the
    qrunners on that machine, so things are just piling up in the qfiles/in
    directory.
    This is something to handle in your MTA. I assume, since you specify
    Solaris as the old machine, that you were running Sendmail on it.

    Remove the aliases that pipe to the mail list, and set up something
    like mailtertable to ship them to the new host.

    Hank
  • Mark Sapiro at Mar 20, 2007 at 1:19 am

    vancleef at lostwells.net wrote:
    The esteemed Steve Burling has said:
    So, we pretty much successfully moved our mailman installation from the old
    Solaris box to the new Red Hat box.

    Only one small problem. Of course.

    We (and by we, I mean me) had failed to reduce the TTL for the MX record
    that points to our mail server, which is now on a new machine. So some
    mailman mail is still being delivered to the old machine. I've stopped the
    qrunners on that machine, so things are just piling up in the qfiles/in
    directory.
    This is something to handle in your MTA. I assume, since you specify
    Solaris as the old machine, that you were running Sendmail on it.

    Remove the aliases that pipe to the mail list, and set up something
    like mailtertable to ship them to the new host.

    That will do for the messages that arrive subsequent to making that
    change. There is still the problem of the already queued messages.

    Presumably the new installation is a 2.1.x installation, not 2.0.x, so
    you can't just move the queue entries because they're not compatible
    (in 2.1 there is a single .pck file per msg as opposed to the 2.0 .db
    and .msg files). IIRC, the incoming message is plain text in the .msg
    file, so using bin/inject on the new system to inject these into the
    'in' queue for the list, although tedious, may be easier than anything
    else. (with luck, the list is an addressee so you can get that from
    the .msg without having to get it from the metadata in the associated
    .db).

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Steve Burling at Mar 20, 2007 at 1:31 am

    --On March 19, 2007 6:19:00 PM -0700 Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Presumably the new installation is a 2.1.x installation, not 2.0.x, so
    you can't just move the queue entries because they're not compatible
    (in 2.1 there is a single .pck file per msg as opposed to the 2.0 .db
    and .msg files). IIRC, the incoming message is plain text in the .msg
    file, so using bin/inject on the new system to inject these into the
    'in' queue for the list, although tedious, may be easier than anything
    else. (with luck, the list is an addressee so you can get that from
    the .msg without having to get it from the metadata in the associated
    .db).
    To which I reply:

    It's interesting -- the old installation was a 2.1.4 install, so I don't
    know there are both a .db and a .msg file for each message.

    At any rate, when I looked just now, there were 150 pairs of .db and .msg
    files, and all but one had been flagged as SPAM, so I used bin/inject with
    the one .msg file, and sh*t-canned the rest of the files.

    Thanks for the confirmation that that was what I needed to do.

    --
    Steve Burling <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
    University of Michigan, ICPSR Voice: +1 734 615.3779
    330 Packard Street FAX: +1 734 647.8700
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2910

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMar 19, '07 at 11:13p
activeMar 20, '07 at 1:31a
posts4
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase