FAQ
My mailman is configured to have as its default_email_host
alliance.brown.edu, but the default_url_host to be
list.alliance.brown.edu. However, our list information pages list the
archive link as alliance.brown.edu instead of the proper list.a.b.e
link as it should be.

We host other virtual hosts at this site, all of them using list.name
and they have no problem with the archive, it's just this one domain.

How can we ensure the info pages go to the right URL without manually
editing each list HTML page, but also ensure no changes to the other
virtual hosts?

---
Julia Frizzell
Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager
The Education Alliance
222 Richmond Street, Suite 300
Providence, Rhode Island 02903-4226
julia_frizzell at brown.edu
401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
401.421.7650 (fax)
http://www.alliance.brown.edu

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 16, 2007 at 8:42 pm

    Julia Frizzell wrote:
    My mailman is configured to have as its default_email_host
    alliance.brown.edu, but the default_url_host to be
    list.alliance.brown.edu. However, our list information pages list the
    archive link as alliance.brown.edu instead of the proper list.a.b.e
    link as it should be.

    This is one of two problems. If these are private archives, you
    probably need to run fix_url on the lists. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>.

    If these are public archives, you may have hard coded a host name in
    PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Julia Frizzell at Feb 16, 2007 at 8:56 pm

    On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Julia Frizzell wrote:
    My mailman is configured to have as its default_email_host
    alliance.brown.edu, but the default_url_host to be
    list.alliance.brown.edu. However, our list information pages list the
    archive link as alliance.brown.edu instead of the proper list.a.b.e
    link as it should be.

    This is one of two problems. If these are private archives, you
    probably need to run fix_url on the lists. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
    req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>.

    If these are public archives, you may have hard coded a host name in
    PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py.
    They're public archives, and I do not have a hard coded host name in
    my mm_cfg.py.

    Interestingly enough, ALL of the other links work perfectly. It is
    ONLY the list for the archives that has a problem. Should I worry
    about running the fix_url.py and having it create problems for the
    currently working links and potentially messing up the other virtual
    hosts, or should I just relax and let it do its thing?

    BTW, this change will not be done on a Friday at 4:00, so I'm looking
    for a Monday morning solution. :)

    ---
    Julia Frizzell
    Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager
    The Education Alliance
    222 Richmond Street, Suite 300
    Providence, Rhode Island 02903-4226
    julia_frizzell at brown.edu
    401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
    401.421.7650 (fax)
    http://www.alliance.brown.edu
  • Ryan Steele at Feb 16, 2007 at 9:24 pm

    Julia Frizzell wrote:
    On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Julia Frizzell wrote:

    My mailman is configured to have as its default_email_host
    alliance.brown.edu, but the default_url_host to be
    list.alliance.brown.edu. However, our list information pages list the
    archive link as alliance.brown.edu instead of the proper list.a.b.e
    link as it should be.
    This is one of two problems. If these are private archives, you
    probably need to run fix_url on the lists. See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?
    req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>.

    If these are public archives, you may have hard coded a host name in
    PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py.
    They're public archives, and I do not have a hard coded host name in
    my mm_cfg.py.

    Interestingly enough, ALL of the other links work perfectly. It is
    ONLY the list for the archives that has a problem. Should I worry
    about running the fix_url.py and having it create problems for the
    currently working links and potentially messing up the other virtual
    hosts, or should I just relax and let it do its thing?

    BTW, this change will not be done on a Friday at 4:00, so I'm looking
    for a Monday morning solution. :)
    I hate to interject here, but wouldn't you rather test during off-peak
    hours, instead of the heat of Monday morning where a mistake might cost
    a lot more? That being said, you can apply changes to a single list,
    and not all lists in an installation. Citing the output from bin/withlist:

    --all / -a
    This option only works with the -r option. Use this if you want to
    execute the script on all mailing lists. When you use -a you should
    not include a listname argument on the command line. The
    variable `r'
    will be a list of all the results.

    Best,
    Ryan

    --
    Ryan Steele
    Systems Administrator steele at agora-net.com
    AgoraNet, Inc. (302) 224-2475
    314 E. Main Street, Suite 1 (302) 224-2552 (fax)
    Newark, DE 19711 http://www.agora-net.com

    ---
    Julia Frizzell
    Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager
    The Education Alliance
    222 Richmond Street, Suite 300
    Providence, Rhode Island 02903-4226
    julia_frizzell at brown.edu
    401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
    401.421.7650 (fax)
    http://www.alliance.brown.edu


    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mailman-Users mailing list
    Mailman-Users at python.org
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
    Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
    Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
    Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/steele%40agora-net.com

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 16, 2007 at 9:45 pm

    Julia Frizzell wrote:
    They're public archives, and I do not have a hard coded host name in
    my mm_cfg.py.

    Interestingly enough, ALL of the other links work perfectly. It is
    ONLY the list for the archives that has a problem. Should I worry
    about running the fix_url.py and having it create problems for the
    currently working links and potentially messing up the other virtual
    hosts, or should I just relax and let it do its thing?

    I went to your listinfo overview page to see what Mailman version you
    are using, and I see it is 2.1.5.

    2.1.5 inverts the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary, and looks up the lists
    host_name attribute (email host) in the inverted dictionary to get the
    corresponding web host. This is not done in current Mailman and is
    subject to error if the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary has duplicate values.

    I suggest the problem is as follows:

    Mailman was configured such that the Defaults.py settings for
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST are both 'alliance.brown.edu',
    and this entry is put in VIRTUAL_HOSTS by the
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) in Defaults.py

    mm_cfg.py contains

    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.alliance.brown.edu'
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'alliance.brown.edu'
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

    This results in a VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary =

    {'lists.alliance.brown.edu': 'alliance.brown.edu',
    'alliance.brown.edu': 'alliance.brown.edu'}

    which, since dictionaries can't have duplicate keys, gets inverted to

    {'alliance.brown.edu': 'alliance.brown.edu'}

    If I am correct, the solution to this problem is to add

    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    to mm_cfg.py preceeding the add_virtualhost() as

    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.alliance.brown.edu'
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'alliance.brown.edu'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
    add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 16, 2007 at 9:52 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    2.1.5 inverts the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary, and looks up the lists
    host_name attribute (email host) in the inverted dictionary to get the
    corresponding web host. This is not done in current Mailman and is
    subject to error if the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary has duplicate values.
    I neglected to say that this trick is only done for public archive
    URLs, which is why everything else works.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 16, '07 at 7:22p
activeFeb 16, '07 at 9:52p
posts6
users3
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase