FAQ
I am trying to post to a one way (announce only) list using a user whose
moderation bit is set, but am using the method described in the FAQ i.e.
adding Approved: <password> to the first line of the body, with a
carriage return and blank line after it. It keeps rejecting it with the
standard "Sorry, this is an announce only list ...etc etc. Can someone
tell me if this still works and how and perhaps how I add this to the
header rather than the body?

Mailman Version 2.1.9

Thanks

Dave

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 10, 2007 at 1:14 am

    Dave Filchak wrote:
    I am trying to post to a one way (announce only) list using a user whose
    moderation bit is set, but am using the method described in the FAQ i.e.
    adding Approved: <password> to the first line of the body, with a
    carriage return and blank line after it. It keeps rejecting it with the
    standard "Sorry, this is an announce only list ...etc etc. Can someone
    tell me if this still works and how and perhaps how I add this to the
    header rather than the body?

    Yes, it works. Possible things that might be wrong are:

    the password - it must be the list's admin or moderator password;
    neither the site password nor a member's password will work, and it
    must not have angle brackets around it.

    the format of the post - if the post is HTML, the Approved: line in the
    body won't work. The Approved: line must be the first non-blank line
    in the first text/plain part of the message. If it is, it is removed
    from that part and an attempt is made to remove it from all other text
    parts of the message, but the removal from other parts is not
    guaranteed to work.

    In general, if the post is simple plain text, or multipart/alternative
    with text/plain and text/html alternatives, the Approved: line will
    work and it will usually be removed from both parts of a
    multipart/alternative message, but it can be left in the text/html
    part under some circumstances.

    If the Approved: line is an actual header rather than a body line, it
    will always be recognized and removed regardless of the MIME structure
    of the message. How to add such a header or if it is even possible
    depends on the user agent (mail client) used to compose and send the
    mail. You used Thunderbird to send this post. See
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Custom_headers> for information on adding
    custom headers with Thunderbird.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Dave Filchak at Feb 11, 2007 at 12:10 am
    Thanks for the reply. I am using Thunderbird and wanting to send html
    email to Mailman. I looked through the instructions on how to add a
    custom header and I am sad to say ... I don't get it. Any chance you can
    walk me through it? I have opened about:config but I am not sure what I
    am supposed to put in there and really don't want to screw up the install.

    Thanks

    Dave

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Dave Filchak wrote:

    I am trying to post to a one way (announce only) list using a user whose
    moderation bit is set, but am using the method described in the FAQ i.e.
    adding Approved: <password> to the first line of the body, with a
    carriage return and blank line after it. It keeps rejecting it with the
    standard "Sorry, this is an announce only list ...etc etc. Can someone
    tell me if this still works and how and perhaps how I add this to the
    header rather than the body?

    Yes, it works. Possible things that might be wrong are:

    the password - it must be the list's admin or moderator password;
    neither the site password nor a member's password will work, and it
    must not have angle brackets around it.

    the format of the post - if the post is HTML, the Approved: line in the
    body won't work. The Approved: line must be the first non-blank line
    in the first text/plain part of the message. If it is, it is removed
    from that part and an attempt is made to remove it from all other text
    parts of the message, but the removal from other parts is not
    guaranteed to work.

    In general, if the post is simple plain text, or multipart/alternative
    with text/plain and text/html alternatives, the Approved: line will
    work and it will usually be removed from both parts of a
    multipart/alternative message, but it can be left in the text/html
    part under some circumstances.

    If the Approved: line is an actual header rather than a body line, it
    will always be recognized and removed regardless of the MIME structure
    of the message. How to add such a header or if it is even possible
    depends on the user agent (mail client) used to compose and send the
    mail. You used Thunderbird to send this post. See
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Custom_headers> for information on adding
    custom headers with Thunderbird.

    --
    This message has been scanned for viruses and
    dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
    believed to be clean.
  • Mark Sapiro at Feb 11, 2007 at 1:21 am

    Dave Filchak wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I am using Thunderbird and wanting to send html
    email to Mailman. I looked through the instructions on how to add a
    custom header and I am sad to say ... I don't get it. Any chance you can
    walk me through it? I have opened about:config but I am not sure what I
    am supposed to put in there and really don't want to screw up the install.
    In about:config scroll down to mail.compose.other.header which probably
    says Status->default, Type->string and Value will be empty.
    Right-click that line (or control-click if you don't have a
    multi-button mouse), select 'modify' from the context menu and then
    enter 'Approved' (without quotes and without a colon) in the dialog
    box and click OK.

    Note that there might already be headers listed in the value of
    mail.compose.other.header if you have added any customized headers to
    any filters. If this is the case, just add Approved to the end of the
    list separated by a comma and no spaces.

    Then, when you are composing mail, if you click the down arrow you use
    to select To:, Cc:, etc. for addresses, you will be able to select
    Approved:. Do that and type the password on that line where you would
    normally type an email address.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Dave Filchak at Feb 11, 2007 at 7:54 am
    Thanks very much ... works like a charm.

    Dave


    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Dave Filchak wrote:

    Thanks for the reply. I am using Thunderbird and wanting to send html
    email to Mailman. I looked through the instructions on how to add a
    custom header and I am sad to say ... I don't get it. Any chance you can
    walk me through it? I have opened about:config but I am not sure what I
    am supposed to put in there and really don't want to screw up the install.
    In about:config scroll down to mail.compose.other.header which probably
    says Status->default, Type->string and Value will be empty.
    Right-click that line (or control-click if you don't have a
    multi-button mouse), select 'modify' from the context menu and then
    enter 'Approved' (without quotes and without a colon) in the dialog
    box and click OK.

    Note that there might already be headers listed in the value of
    mail.compose.other.header if you have added any customized headers to
    any filters. If this is the case, just add Approved to the end of the
    list separated by a comma and no spaces.

    Then, when you are composing mail, if you click the down arrow you use
    to select To:, Cc:, etc. for addresses, you will be able to select
    Approved:. Do that and type the password on that line where you would
    normally type an email address.

    --
    This message has been scanned for viruses and
    dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
    believed to be clean.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedFeb 9, '07 at 11:58p
activeFeb 11, '07 at 7:54a
posts5
users2
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Dave Filchak: 3 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase