I have a mailing list whose membership changes frequently. I want to
find out who received a two-month-old email in the archives. In other
words, I want to know the list membership at the time that message was
sent.

How can I do this?

I realize I could look at sendmail logs (if they went back that far),
but is there an "pure Mailman" way to do this?

I believe (not sure) that the vette(?) log keeps track of
subscribes/unsubscribes, so I could theoretically reconstruct the
list, starting with the current membership and working backward. Is
this possible? Is there an easier way?

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 27, 2007 at 2:41 am

    Kelly Jones wrote:
    I have a mailing list whose membership changes frequently. I want to
    find out who received a two-month-old email in the archives. In other
    words, I want to know the list membership at the time that message was
    sent.

    I'm assuming you don't care about regular vs digest which you can't
    track because changes aren't logged.
    I believe (not sure) that the vette(?) log keeps track of
    subscribes/unsubscribes, so I could theoretically reconstruct the
    list, starting with the current membership and working backward. Is
    this possible? Is there an easier way?

    It's the subscribe log, but yes you can get the subscribes and
    unsubscribes and work backwards. Address changes currently aren't
    logged (they will be in 2.2), but that may not be significant for your
    purpose.

    No, I don't know an easier way unless you have a backup somewhere of
    the list's config.pck from the date of interest. If you do, you could
    use bin/dumpdb to get the information.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 27, '07 at 1:47a