I'm running a Debian Sarge machine with Exim 4.50 and I recently
installed Mailman 2.1.5. The installation itself went without any
bigger problems.
I can create lists now, I can manage them and I can send mails to those
lists. Those mails land in the archive as they should, but they don't
get delivered to the subscribers. A look at
/var/log/mailman/smtp-failure gives the following:

Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
refused'), msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: please run connect()
first, msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to footest at myotherdomain.de failed
with code -1: please run connect() first
Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to p200 at mydomain2.de failed with
code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')

Both p200 at mydomain2.de and footest at myotherdomain.de are subscribed to
that list.

Any suggestions ? Thx.

=== = ====

/#/\#\ /#/\#\
/#/ \#\ /#/ \#\
/#/ patrick \#\
/#/ @ \#\
/#/ malkin.de \#\

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 16, 2007 at 5:29 pm

    Patrick Franz wrote:
    I can create lists now, I can manage them and I can send mails to those
    lists. Those mails land in the archive as they should, but they don't
    get delivered to the subscribers. A look at
    /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure gives the following:

    Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
    refused'), msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
    Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: please run connect()
    first, msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
    Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to footest at myotherdomain.de failed
    with code -1: please run connect() first
    Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to p200 at mydomain2.de failed with
    code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')

    Your Mailman is unable to connect to your outgoing MTA (Exim). Exim is
    refusing connection or is not listening on 'localhost' port 25.

    Can you

    telnet localhost 25

    on the Mailman/Exim box? Presumably Exim is running if you can send
    mail to Mailman, but there is probably some Exim configuration issue
    causing it to not accept connects from localhost.

  • Patrick Franz at Jan 16, 2007 at 5:35 pm
    Hi,

    Your Mailman is unable to connect to your outgoing MTA (Exim). Exim
    is refusing connection or is not listening on 'localhost' port 25.

    Can you

    telnet localhost 25

    on the Mailman/Exim box? Presumably Exim is running if you can send
    mail to Mailman, but there is probably some Exim configuration issue
    causing it to not accept connects from localhost.
    Yes, Exim is running for a year or so and it is working so far.

    fb04184:~# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...

    === = ====

    /#/\#\ /#/\#\
    /#/ \#\ /#/ \#\
    /#/ patrick \#\
    /#/ @ \#\
    /#/ malkin.de \#\
  • Paul Tomblin at Jan 16, 2007 at 5:38 pm

    Quoting Patrick Franz (patrick at malkin.de):
    Hi,

    Your Mailman is unable to connect to your outgoing MTA (Exim). Exim
    is refusing connection or is not listening on 'localhost' port 25.

    Can you

    telnet localhost 25

    on the Mailman/Exim box? Presumably Exim is running if you can send
    mail to Mailman, but there is probably some Exim configuration issue
    causing it to not accept connects from localhost.
    Yes, Exim is running for a year or so and it is working so far.

    fb04184:~# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    If it's not listening on port 25 on localhost, then it's not "working so
    far". You need to figure out where it is listening.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
    "While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story

    Yes, Exim is running for a year or so and it is working so far.

    fb04184:~# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    If it's not listening on port 25 on localhost, then it's not "working
    so far". You need to figure out where it is listening.
    The server is used to just forward/redirect mails as those addresses are
    defined in /etc/aliases.

    A netstat -lnp gives:

    tcp 0 0 130.83.2.184:25 0.0.0.0:*
    LISTEN 21340/exim4

    with 130.83.2.184 being the server's IP.

    === = ====

    /#/\#\ /#/\#\
    /#/ \#\ /#/ \#\
    /#/ patrick \#\
    /#/ @ \#\
    /#/ malkin.de \#\
  • Larry Stone at Jan 16, 2007 at 6:03 pm

    Yes, Exim is running for a year or so and it is working so far.

    fb04184:~# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    If it's not listening on port 25 on localhost, then it's not "working
    so far". You need to figure out where it is listening.
    The server is used to just forward/redirect mails as those addresses are
    defined in /etc/aliases.
    But it's not. I think you missed in your output from "telnet localhost 25"
    that it responded "connection refused".
    A netstat -lnp gives:

    tcp 0 0 130.83.2.184:25 0.0.0.0:*
    LISTEN 21340/exim4

    with 130.83.2.184 being the server's IP.
    I'm no expert but I think just because it's listening to 130.83.2.184 on
    port 25 does not mean it's listening to localhost (127.0.0.1) on port 25.

    -- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
  • Paul Tomblin at Jan 16, 2007 at 6:32 pm

    Quoting Larry Stone (lstone19 at stonejongleux.com):