When someone sends an email with a read receipt request to a list that I
own, I get a lot of uncaught bounce notifications (I have attached one
for reference). I am wondering if there is any way I can stop getting
all these Read Receipt messages when people send an email to a Mailman
list, without turning off bounce processing all together. I tried just
filtering them in Outlook, but you can't filter on an attachment name.
I do currently have all of the bounce notifications going to a folder,
but would like to either stop getting these particular ones, or be able
to further filter them into another folder.

I am on Mailman v. 2.1.6 and Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Whitcomb, MCP
Technology Services Manager
Cumberland School of Law - Samford University
205-726-4662

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 4, 2007 at 12:37 am

    Whitcomb, Jeff wrote:
    When someone sends an email with a read receipt request to a list that I
    own, I get a lot of uncaught bounce notifications (I have attached one
    for reference).

    And the list's content filtering removed it.

    I am wondering if there is any way I can stop getting
    all these Read Receipt messages when people send an email to a Mailman
    list, without turning off bounce processing all together.

    This is just one more reason why "Read Receipts" are bad.

    If possible, train your users not to request receipts for list mail.
    What do they think they are going to get anyway?

    It would be fairly simple to implement header_filter_rules for your
    list (admin->Privacy options->Spam filters->header_filter_rules) that
    would reject any post that asked for a receipt.

    You could also not send unrecognized bounces to the list owner.
    Automated bounce processing will still be done, but unrecognized
    bounces will be discarded. See admin->Bounce
    processing->bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner.

    I tried just
    filtering them in Outlook, but you can't filter on an attachment name.
    I do currently have all of the bounce notifications going to a folder,
    but would like to either stop getting these particular ones, or be able
    to further filter them into another folder.

    What happens is at least some of your list subscribers (via their MUAs)
    are returning receipts to the envelope sender. This may or may not be
    correct. I don't know how these things are supposed to work.

    In an OOB Mailman, you can't differentiate these 'unrecognized bounces'
    from any other unrecognized bounces

    I think your best solution if you have access to the Mailman
    installation and you don't want to train the users is to implement a
    custom handler (see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>)
    to remove all headers that request receipts or acknowledgements from
    the list posts.

  • Tokio Kikuchi at Jan 4, 2007 at 12:51 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Whitcomb, Jeff wrote:
    I am wondering if there is any way I can stop getting
    all these Read Receipt messages when people send an email to a Mailman
    list, without turning off bounce processing all together.

    This is just one more reason why "Read Receipts" are bad.
    What exactly is the header name? We already strip these headers by
    Mailman/Handlers/Cleanse.py:

    # Some headers can be used to fish for membership
    del msg['return-receipt-to']
    del msg['disposition-notification-to']
    del msg['x-confirm-reading-to']

    It should not be difficult to add one or more in the next release.

    Tokio Kikuchi, tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
    http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/
  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 4, 2007 at 12:54 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    I think your best solution if you have access to the Mailman
    installation and you don't want to train the users is to implement a
    custom handler (see
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>)
    to remove all headers that request receipts or acknowledgements from
    the list posts.

    I just looked at the existing Mailman/Handlers/Cleanse.py handler with
    the thought of creating an example of a custom handler to remove
    receipt requests, and I was reminded that we already try to remove any
    headers that request this. This is what we currently do.

    # Some headers can be used to fish for membership
    del msg['return-receipt-to']
    del msg['disposition-notification-to']
    del msg['x-confirm-reading-to']
    # Pegasus mail uses this one... sigh
    del msg['x-pmrqc']

    So the question is, what header(s) are your users using to request
    receipts that aren't among those above? Tell us what they are, and we
    will remove them effective with Mailman 2.1.10.

  • Patrick Bogen at Jan 11, 2007 at 5:14 pm