Barry S. Finkel
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 19, 2006 at 5:37 pm

    Barry Finkel wrote:
    I am trying to decide whether to use the Debian/Ubuntu 2.1.5-9ubuntu4.1
    package or to use the 2.1.9 source for Mailman.

    I would recommend installing from source, but I'm biased ...

    I see that Ubuntu
    comes with

    postfix-to-mailman.py

    a Postfix transport pipe. I do not see this in the 2.1.9 source.
    Is this transport pipe really needed?

    No, it is not needed and may or may not be even desirable, depending on
    your needs. In order for it to work well, mailman list addresses need
    to be in their own domain. It is based on qmail-to-mailman.py and also
    functionally similar to mm-handler, both of which are in the
    distribution in the contrib/ directory.

    The main advantage of these delivery methods is they enable delivery of
    mail to Mailman 'automatically' without requiring aliases. However,
    Postfix integrates well with Mailman, and Mailman provides automatic
    updating of aliases for Postfix.

    Am I correct in assuming that I can use this python module even if
    I install Mailman from the 2.1.9 source?

    Yes, you can.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 19, '06 at 3:59p
activeDec 19, '06 at 5:37p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Barry Finkel: 1 post