I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

I have mailman working on one machine and can't get it
to work on another with the exact same config.

Here's the setup:
OpenBSD 4.0
Mailman 2.1.8p3

I have in my mc file I have
VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(`lists.foo.org') set (and yes, I've
run m4 and made the cf file). In mailertable I've got
lists.foo.org mailman:lists.foo.org. But if I try and
send a message I get a 550 5.1.1 User Unknown.

What am I doing wrong? For the life of me I'v tried
everything?!?!?!?!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 19, 2006 at 3:09 am

    stupidmail4me wrote:
    I have in my mc file I have
    VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(`lists.foo.org') set (and yes, I've
    run m4 and made the cf file). In mailertable I've got
    lists.foo.org mailman:lists.foo.org. But if I try and
    send a message I get a 550 5.1.1 User Unknown.

    Have you installed aliases for the list(s) in /etc/aliases or ??

  • Stupidmail4me at Dec 19, 2006 at 4:07 pm
    I'm using mm-handler from /contrib.

    I checked and the aliases I do have work (root,
    MAILER-DAEMON, etc). But on my other setup it accepts
    any email address on that domain and let's mm-handler
    handle it from there so I don't need aliases in the
    aliases file.

    Like I said, everything (sendmail's cf file,
    mm-handler, mm_cfg.py) is the same except for
    appropriate domain entries.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is
    for gamblers,

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Clement Hermann at Dec 19, 2006 at 8:47 am

    stupidmail4me a ?crit :
    Here's the setup:
    OpenBSD 4.0
    Mailman 2.1.8p3

    I have in my mc file I have
    VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(`lists.foo.org') set (and yes, I've
    run m4 and made the cf file). In mailertable I've got
    lists.foo.org mailman:lists.foo.org. But if I try and
    send a message I get a 550 5.1.1 User Unknown.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're trying, but I never added a
    mailman mailer, and so a mailman:<domain> definition in the mailertable.
    Rather, the mailman mails should go thru the "local" mailer, then thru
    "prog" with pipes aliases (local name: "|command").

    Also, IIRC, putting a domain in mailertable will prevent the
    virtusertable to be checked, so the virtuser_domain is useless here.
    However, I'm not really sure about the order, need a sendmail expert here ;)

    I'm almost sure that you cannot have both, though.

    Cl?ment Hermann
  • Stupidmail4me at Dec 19, 2006 at 4:09 pm
    --- Clement Hermann
    wrote:
[...]

    VIRTUSER_DOMAIN is not useless, it still gets run
    through virtusertable. You need a VIRTUSER_DOMAIN so
    that it runs through a mailer (which becomes the
    "local" mailer, in this case, mm-handler).
    I'm almost sure that you cannot have both, though.

    Cl?ment Hermann

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Clement Hermann at Dec 19, 2006 at 5:59 pm

    stupidmail4me a ?crit :
    VIRTUSER_DOMAIN is not useless, it still gets run
    through virtusertable. You need a VIRTUSER_DOMAIN so
    that it runs through a mailer (which becomes the
    "local" mailer, in this case, mm-handler).
    right, Though I usually use {W} for this purpose (the virtusertable is
    checked weither you use local-host-names or virtuser_domain)?

    Do you use a specific mailer macro to execute mailman without using
    aliases ? I do not know the mm-handler you're talking about.

    Is the mailertable used even when the domain is in virtuser_domain, then ?
    I'm almost sure that you cannot have both, though.

    Cl?ment Hermann

    http://mail.yahoo.com

    /NOTE:/ This message has been trained as non-spam. If this is wrong,
    please correct the training as soon as possible.
    Spam
    <http://antispam.eolas-services.com/canit/b.php?c=s&i642254&m¹1d8971ab61>
    Not spam
    <http://antispam.eolas-services.com/canit/b.php?c=n&i642254&m¹1d8971ab61>
    Forget previous vote
    <http://antispam.eolas-services.com/canit/b.php?c=f&i642254&m¹1d8971ab61>
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 19, 2006 at 6:28 pm

    Clement Hermann wrote:
    Do you use a specific mailer macro to execute mailman without using
    aliases ? I do not know the mm-handler you're talking about.

    mm-handler is a script in the contrib/ directory of the distribution.
    it is intended to be invoked by Sendmail to receive all mail addressed
    to a specific domain (the one used for the Mailman list addresses) and
    deliver it properly to Mailman.

  • Stupidmail4me at Dec 19, 2006 at 7:20 pm
    Precisely Mr Hermann. As such, it has to be invoked
    via mailertable (for an entire domain) or via aliases
    for specific addresses.

    --- Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Clement Hermann wrote:
    Do you use a specific mailer macro to execute
    mailman without using
    aliases ? I do not know the mm-handler you're
    talking about.

    mm-handler is a script in the contrib/ directory of
    the distribution.
    it is intended to be invoked by Sendmail to receive
    all mail addressed
    to a specific domain (the one used for the Mailman
    list addresses) and
    deliver it properly to Mailman.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is
    for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use
    your sense - B. Dylan

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Clement Hermann at Dec 22, 2006 at 10:26 am

    stupidmail4me a ?crit :
    Precisely Mr Hermann. As such, it has to be invoked
    via mailertable (for an entire domain) or via aliases
    for specific addresses.
    mhmm.. just took a look at this piece of code, it could be just what I
    need to ease the burden of creating new lists, thanks :)

    I'd just need to patch it a bit to support a virtual domain set up (one
    instance of mailman per domain).

    Anyway, regarding your problem, it might be a wrong variable in the
    mm-handler, or maybe you forgot to add the virtusertable feature to your
    .mc file (and then the virtuser_domain won't be taken into account by
    sendmail). It's difficult to say without reviewing all the relevant
    parts of your configuration.

    Clement Hermann (nodens)

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython