I could use some pointers in my conversion from Listproc to Mailman. I am
also going from a Solaris machine to a Redhat Linux. I am very very new to
Unix, Linux and could use some help in my conversion over to the new machine
with Mailman. How exactly can I get my old Listproc Lists merged over to
this new mailman machine. How does mailman get its address? What will
happen to my old address of the old list when created with the new list?
Can I keep them the same??

Pardon my ingnorance to any of those that are expert at this. I have
managed to install Mailman on a Redhat box so far. But still have to go
through the configuration.

Thanks

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 7, 2006 at 5:14 pm

    Melinda wrote:
    I could use some pointers in my conversion from Listproc to Mailman. I am
    also going from a Solaris machine to a Redhat Linux. I am very very new to
    Unix, Linux and could use some help in my conversion over to the new machine
    with Mailman. How exactly can I get my old Listproc Lists merged over to
    this new mailman machine. How does mailman get its address? What will
    happen to my old address of the old list when created with the new list?
    Can I keep them the same??

    This question is so broad as to be almost beyond the scope of this
    list. I'll just say a few things.

    First, I know nothing about Listproc so I can't comment in how Listproc
    settings/configurations map to Mailman.

    As far as moving lists is concerned, you have three main areas of
    concern - list behavior (configuration), membership and archives. As I
    said, I can't speak about mapping behavior as I don't know Listproc.
    For membership, you need to be able to export a flat file of members
    (or two separate files of regular and digest members) in a standard
    format like

    Users Name <user at example.com>

    and this can be easily used to populate the Mailman list.

    List archives need to be exported as a flat file in *nix mbox format,
    and this can be used to create a Mailman archive.

    For list addresses, Mailman works in conjunction with an MTA (Sendmail,
    Postfix, Exim, etc.) which receives mail sent to a particular domain
    or domains and uses aliases or other methods to determine whether the
    local part of the address is a mailman address and if so, delivers the
    mail to Mailman by piping it to Mailman's mail wrapper.

    Each list has a set of addresses. The list posting address for a list
    named test in the example.com domain is test at example.com. Every list
    also has 9 other associated addresses, in this example they are
    test-bounces at example.com, test-admin at example.com (deprecated),
    test-owner at example.com, test-request at example.com,
    test-confirm at example.com, test-join at example.com,
    test-subscribe at example.com, test-leave at example.com and

    If your old domain is going to map to your new machine, you should be
    able to keep the same list addresses.

  • Rob Dewhirst at Dec 12, 2006 at 1:59 am