Hi;

I supervise a Mailman list for a club of RVers which has about 550 members.

Once a month I get a new roster to put up on the site, but I don't get
specific changes to email addresses, new members or deleted members.

Is there a simple way to unsubscribe the entire current list and mass
subscribe the new list?

Thank you.

Frank Baillie

Search Discussions

  • Ralf Hildebrandt at Dec 4, 2006 at 3:59 pm

    * Frank Baillie <frank at compwiz.ca>:
    Hi;

    I supervise a Mailman list for a club of RVers which has about 550 members.

    Once a month I get a new roster to put up on the site, but I don't get
    specific changes to email addresses, new members or deleted members.

    Is there a simple way to unsubscribe the entire current list and mass
    subscribe the new list?
    I added a patch which lets you do exactly that.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid00103&group_id3&func=browse
    topmost line
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid05292&group_id3&atid00103

    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
    Charite - Universit?tsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
    Gemeinsame Einrichtung von FU- und HU-Berlin Fax. +49 (0)30-450 570-962
    IT-Zentrum Standort CBF send no mail to plonk at charite.de
  • Barry Finkel at Dec 4, 2006 at 5:28 pm

    "Frank Baillie" wrote:
    Hi;

    I supervise a Mailman list for a club of RVers which has about 550 members.

    Once a month I get a new roster to put up on the site, but I don't get
    specific changes to email addresses, new members or deleted members.

    Is there a simple way to unsubscribe the entire current list and mass
    subscribe the new list?

    Thank you.

    Frank Baillie
    There are two commands in the bin directory:

    remove_members --all --nouserack --noadminack $LISTNAME
    add_members -w n -r $FILE $LISTNAME

    The first will remove all subscribers in $LISTNAME without any
    acknowledgements to the subscribers and administrators.

    The second will silently subscribe all of the e-mail addresses in
    the $FILE file.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 4, 2006 at 5:56 pm

    Barry Finkel wrote:
    There are two commands in the bin directory:

    remove_members --all --nouserack --noadminack $LISTNAME
    add_members -w n -r $FILE $LISTNAME

    The first will remove all subscribers in $LISTNAME without any
    acknowledgements to the subscribers and administrators.

    The second will silently subscribe all of the e-mail addresses in
    the $FILE file.

    And there is the sync_members command which synchronizes the list
    membership with the addresses in an input file which is the one step
    way to do what is wanted, but these all require command line access.
    Ralf's patch mentioned in another reply allows doing sync_members from
    the web interface, but of course it requires more than command line
    access to install the patch.

  • Ralf Hildebrandt at Dec 4, 2006 at 6:37 pm

    * Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>:

    And there is the sync_members command which synchronizes the list
    membership with the addresses in an input file which is the one step
    way to do what is wanted, but these all require command line access.
    Ralf's patch mentioned in another reply allows doing sync_members from
    the web interface, but of course it requires more than command line
    access to install the patch.
    OTOH somebody could adopt the patch (the feature request is 2 years
    old now :) )

    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
    IT-Zentrum Standort CBF send no mail to plonk at charite.de
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 4, 2006 at 9:18 pm

    Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
    OTOH somebody could adopt the patch (the feature request is 2 years
    old now :) )

    Message received. :-)

    * Barry Finkel <b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov>:
    There are two commands in the bin directory:

    remove_members --all --nouserack --noadminack $LISTNAME
    add_members -w n -r $FILE $LISTNAME

    The first will remove all subscribers in $LISTNAME without any
    acknowledgements to the subscribers and administrators.

    The second will silently subscribe all of the e-mail addresses in
    the $FILE file.
    Why so complicated? Simply use sync_members instead.

    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
    IT-Zentrum Standort CBF send no mail to plonk at charite.de

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython