All the email to one of my lists is coming with the [listname] header from
another list, and all the email to that list is coming with the [listname]
header from the other. Even when I go to
http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/partyhats I see the page I should
be seeing at
http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/techhats/
(although the techhats pages seems ok).

The partyhats archive is toast as well.

I've shut down all my lists, but how do I fix this?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, there's going to be one

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 4, 2006 at 6:05 pm

    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    All the email to one of my lists is coming with the [listname] header from
    another list, and all the email to that list is coming with the [listname]
    header from the other. Even when I go to
    http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/partyhats I see the page I should
    be seeing at
    http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/techhats/
    (although the techhats pages seems ok).

    The partyhats archive is toast as well.

    It seems that somehow, the lists/techhats/config.pck file may have
    gotten copied/restored to lists/partyhats/config.pck. a similar thing
    may have happened with archives/private/techhats/ <->
    archives/private/partyhats/.

    I've shut down all my lists, but how do I fix this?

    I hope you have a good backup :-(

  • Paul Tomblin at Dec 4, 2006 at 6:41 pm

    Quoting Mark Sapiro (msapiro at value.net):
    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    All the email to one of my lists is coming with the [listname] header from
    another list, and all the email to that list is coming with the [listname]
    header from the other. Even when I go to
    http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/partyhats I see the page I should
    be seeing at
    http://list.xcski.com/mailman/listinfo/techhats/
    (although the techhats pages seems ok).

    The partyhats archive is toast as well.

    It seems that somehow, the lists/techhats/config.pck file may have
    gotten copied/restored to lists/partyhats/config.pck. a similar thing
    may have happened with archives/private/techhats/ <->
    archives/private/partyhats/.
    Nope, I checked that - partyhats/config.pck looks fine, as does
    techhats/config.pck.
    I've shut down all my lists, but how do I fix this?

    I hope you have a good backup :-(
    Since it seems my backup and my current are the same, that's not going to
    help much.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
    "We sealed our federal pact without bloodshed and without exploitation of

    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    Nope, I checked that - partyhats/config.pck looks fine, as does
    techhats/config.pck.
    I've shut down all my lists, but how do I fix this?

    Did you either 'restart' or 'stop' and 'start' mailman before 'shutting
    down'?

    Actually, I don't see how it is possible that the web admin interface
    would show data different from the config.pck unless the underlying
    file system is somehow broken.

  • Paul Tomblin at Dec 4, 2006 at 9:34 pm

    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    Nope, I checked that - partyhats/config.pck looks fine, as does
    techhats/config.pck.
    I've shut down all my lists, but how do I fix this?

    Did you either 'restart' or 'stop' and 'start' mailman before 'shutting
    down'?
    /etc/init.d/mailman stop
    Actually, I don't see how it is possible that the web admin interface
    would show data different from the config.pck unless the underlying
    file system is somehow broken.
    The config.db was fine, but the config.pck *was* corrupted. Or rather, it
    appeared to be a copy of another lists, since doing a "list_members" on
    both lists returned the same list.

    Very odd.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
    I did volunteer EMS as recovery from sysadmining, then

    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    The config.db was fine, but the config.pck *was* corrupted. Or rather, it
    appeared to be a copy of another lists, since doing a "list_members" on
    both lists returned the same list.

    The config.db is left over from Mailman 2.0.x and is probably VERY out
    of date and should probably just be discarded along with
    config.db.last.

    And yes, your symptom seemed to be the result of a config.pck having
    been replaced somehow with that of another list. I don't know how that
    could have happened, but at this point you need to find the most
    recent backup of a good config.pck.

  • Paul Tomblin at Dec 4, 2006 at 10:01 pm

    Paul Tomblin wrote:
    The config.db was fine, but the config.pck *was* corrupted. Or rather, it
    appeared to be a copy of another lists, since doing a "list_members" on
    both lists returned the same list.
    And yes, your symptom seemed to be the result of a config.pck having
    been replaced somehow with that of another list. I don't know how that
    could have happened, but at this point you need to find the most
    recent backup of a good config.pck.
    Yeah, I found one from a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago I started backing
    up to a new external USB disk, and on Sunday that disk crashed so I have
    no recent backups.

    Yesterday when I was rebuilding the archives for this machine, it got
    extremely low on memory, and I guess that did something. This is my first
    experiment with Xen and LVM, and so far I'm not impressed.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
    [Y]ou should write for the comprehension of the next programmer who

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 4, '06 at 5:25p
activeDec 4, '06 at 10:01p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Paul Tomblin: 4 posts Mark Sapiro: 3 posts