I did something, although I can't for the life of me figure out what,
that broke my mailman server. The web presence hasn't changed any, user
administration works fine, as does access to the archive, and monthly
password reminders are being sent. But mail to any of the lists bounces.
I'm running Mailman 2.1.9 (just upgraded from 2.1.8 tonight in hopes
that the new install would fix the problem) with Postfix 2.2.5 on RedHat
7.2.

The heart of the bounce is as follows:

<"|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"@domainvanhorn.com> (expanded from
<freehand at virtuoso.domainvanhorn.com>): unknown user:
"|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"

The aliases (/etc/postfix/aliases) for that list look like this:

## freehand mailing list
freehand: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"
freehand-admin: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman admin freehand"
freehand-bounces: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman bounces freehand"
freehand-confirm: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman confirm freehand"
freehand-join: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman join freehand"
freehand-leave: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman leave freehand"
freehand-owner: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman owner freehand"
freehand-request: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman request freehand"
freehand-subscribe: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe freehand"
freehand-unsubscribe: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe freehand"

Does this suggest anything to anybody?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 9, 2006 at 3:36 pm

    G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
    The heart of the bounce is as follows:

    <"|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"@domainvanhorn.com> (expanded from
    <freehand at virtuoso.domainvanhorn.com>): unknown user:
    "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"

    The aliases (/etc/postfix/aliases) for that list look like this:

    ## freehand mailing list
    freehand: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"

    Then presumably, you don't use MTA = 'Postfix' and aliases in Mailman's
    data/aliases.

    There is something in the Postfix configuration that is causing it to
    not recognize that the alias above is a pipe to a command and not a
    user name. It is in Postfix and has nothing directly to do with
    Mailman. The aliases seem correct.

    Perhaps someone made some Postfix change involving virtual domains or
    something like that.

  • G. Armour Van Horn at Nov 9, 2006 at 6:57 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

    The heart of the bounce is as follows:

    <"|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"@domainvanhorn.com> (expanded from
    <freehand at virtuoso.domainvanhorn.com>): unknown user:
    "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"

    The aliases (/etc/postfix/aliases) for that list look like this:

    ## freehand mailing list
    freehand: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post freehand"
    Then presumably, you don't use MTA = 'Postfix' and aliases in Mailman's
    data/aliases.

    There is something in the Postfix configuration that is causing it to
    not recognize that the alias above is a pipe to a command and not a
    user name. It is in Postfix and has nothing directly to do with
    Mailman. The aliases seem correct.

    Perhaps someone made some Postfix change involving virtual domains or
    something like that.
    Could you expand on that, perhaps? This system has used Postfix as its
    MTA since the day it was first setup (1 October 2002) and the aliases
    have always been added to /etc/postfix/aliases. There is no reference
    that I can see to aliases in /home/mailman/data, no file by that name
    and "grep alias *" returns no matches in that directory.

    I don't recall ever making any change to the Postfix configuration on
    the system, although I'm sure that Postfix itself has been upgraded a
    couple of times, the current executable is dated 31 August 2005. That's
    long before the current problem started, but several years after the
    machine was first built.

    Until this, the system has been extremely stable because it was
    purpose-built to run Mailman and never has had anything extraneous
    running and has been lightly loaded. Of course that may be a two-edged
    sword; the system is so stable that I rarely pay any attention to it,
    thus don't know the ins and outs of keeping things in order like I do
    with my other systems that run much higher volumes in Apache and Sendmail.

    Van

    Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
    on a theme delivered every morning.
    Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
    mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

    For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
    visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 10, 2006 at 1:08 am

    G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
    Could you expand on that, perhaps? This system has used Postfix as its
    MTA since the day it was first setup (1 October 2002) and the aliases
    have always been added to /etc/postfix/aliases. There is no reference
    that I can see to aliases in /home/mailman/data, no file by that name
    and "grep alias *" returns no matches in that directory.

    There is a way to configure Mailman an Postfix so that mailman will
    maintain aliases and aliases.db in its data/ directory and Postfix
    will use them. This eliminates the need to manually add and delete
    aliases in /etc/postfix/aliases when lists are created and deleted,
    but is not required to use Mailman and Postfix. See
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html> for more information.

    The fact that you don't do this is not the cause of your problem. The
    problem is something to do with the postfix configuration file
    (main.cf). Postfix is not properly interpreting the alias as a pipe to
    a command. This has nothing do do with Mailman per se, as Postfix
    decides the post is undeliverable without any Mailman involvement
    whatsoever.

    If you can't figure this out, you might have more success asking on a
    Postfix list as this is a Postfix issue.
    I don't recall ever making any change to the Postfix configuration on
    the system, although I'm sure that Postfix itself has been upgraded a
    couple of times, the current executable is dated 31 August 2005. That's
    long before the current problem started, but several years after the
    machine was first built.

    What about main.cf?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 9, '06 at 7:46a
activeNov 10, '06 at 1:08a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts G. Armour Van Horn: 2 posts