I would like to set Mailman up so that it preserves attachments to messages
in the archives. I have been totally unsuccessful in doing this. I have set
it to scrubb all attachments except a certain type and I have set it to not
scrubb any attachments. Nothing works. The user gets the attachment, but it
is not preserved in the archive.
Kate

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 12, 2006 at 8:55 pm

    Kate wrote:
    I would like to set Mailman up so that it preserves attachments to messages
    in the archives. I have been totally unsuccessful in doing this. I have set
    it to scrubb all attachments except a certain type and I have set it to not
    scrubb any attachments. Nothing works. The user gets the attachment, but it
    is not preserved in the archive.

    What settings are you manipulating? It sounds more like content
    filtering.

    What are you seeing in the archive for a message with an attachment?

  • Kate Henry at Oct 12, 2006 at 9:56 pm
    All I want to do is to set up Mailman so that it sends an attachment with
    the e-mail (that works) and then saves the attachment in the archived
    version of the e-mail (doesn't work - get message that the attachment was
    "scrubbed"). I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I have nothing set
    in "content filtering" assuming that would mean that nothing is filtered.
    If that is not how to make it so that I can save a copy of the attachment in
    the archive, what do I need to do?

    Mardi Wetmore

    I would like to set Mailman up so that it preserves attachments to
    messages in the archives. I have been totally unsuccessful in doing
    this. I have set it to scrubb all attachments except a certain type and
    I have set it to not scrubb any attachments. Nothing works. The user
    gets the attachment, but it is not preserved in the archive.

    What settings are you manipulating? It sounds more like content filtering.

    What are you seeing in the archive for a message with an attachment?

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 12, 2006 at 9:48 pm
    Please include the list in replies.

    Kate Henry wrote:
    Under Content Filtering I have tried:

    "Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename extension"
    by putting "pdf, doc and rtf" in the box. Then I tried putting nothing in
    any of the filter boxes (assuming this would allow all attachments to be
    archived).

    Content filtering causes attachments of various types to be removed
    before delivery/digesting/archiving. It will remove attachments from
    all messages, but it won't affect how attachments that are not removed
    are archived.

    Nothing works. When I look at the e-mail in the archives it
    says the following:

    A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
    Name: 04_540pins.pdf
    Type: application/pdf
    Size: 69000 bytes
    Desc: not available
    tachment.pdf

    All I want to do is to archive the attachment along with the e-mail so that
    people can go back into the archives to find an attachment.

    Can this be done?

    That is exactly what is happening. The message has been archived and
    the PDF attachment has been removed and stored separately in the
    archive and a link to the PDF attachment is included in the archived
    message. It should say (where example.com is your actual web host)

    If the 'http://example.com' is truly missing from the archived message
    and not just omitted in your email above, then the PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL
    setting is misconfigured in the Mailman installation

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 12, 2006 at 10:30 pm

    Kate Henry wrote:
    All I want to do is to set up Mailman so that it sends an attachment with
    the e-mail (that works) and then saves the attachment in the archived
    version of the e-mail (doesn't work - get message that the attachment was
    "scrubbed"). I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I have nothing set
    in "content filtering" assuming that would mean that nothing is filtered.

    That is correct. Even better, set filter_content to No if that's what
    you want and no content filtering will be done at all regardless of
    the other settings.

    In any case, if the attachment is sent in list mail, content filtering
    didn't remove it and has no further effect on the archive.

    If that is not how to make it so that I can save a copy of the attachment in
    the archive, what do I need to do?

    I'm not sure where the above message fits in this partially off list
    thread, but here's a summary of what's happening.

    Based on your off list message (copied in my reply at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-October/053829.html>),
    the attachment is archived and its location in the archive is included
    in the archived message. See my reply for more.

    If you are expecting to see the PDF attachment 'inline' in the archive,
    pipermail doesn't attempt to do that, and in fact, it can't be done at
    all in a browser independent way. In another recent thread
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-October/053639.html>
    I wrote

    <quote>
    Pipermail does not have the ability to archive Multipart messages at
    all, not to mention the ability to convert a PDF attachment to HTML so
    it could be viewed inline in the archive.

    Thus, all messages must be 'scrubbed' before archiving. Scrubbing
    consists of saving all non-plain text attachments and plain text parts
    with incompatible character sets separately in the 'attachments'
    directory and replacing them with hyperlinks in the original message
    and flattening the original into a single plain text message for the
    archive.
    </quote>

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 13, 2006 at 4:00 pm

    Mardi Wetmore wrote:
    Ok, I think I get it. But, here's what we get at the bottom of the e-mail: