Subject: MemberClicks
Sent: 10/9/2006 3:24 PM

listname at mydomain.state.or.us on 10/9/2006 2:52 PM
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but
did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again.
If it still fails, contact your system administrator.

< mydomain.state.or.us #5.0.0 X-Postfix; mail forwarding
loop for listname at mydomain.state.or.us>

I checked the Postfix logs and see this:

Oct 9 14:51:37 gatsby postfix/nqmgr[2397]: C24354405E:
from=<user at email.com>, sizeV80, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

Oct 9 14:51:37 gatsby postfix/local[21553]: C24354405E:
to=<listname at email.com>, relay=local, delay=1,
status=bounced (mail forwarding loop for
listname at mydomain.state.or.us)

I have been reading other information about mail forwarding errors in
Postfix, but none of them seem to apply here. Can someone give me some
tips as to what is happening? This is a small list and the list is not
subscribed to itself.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 10, 2006 at 11:37 pm

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    One subscriber is receiving all list messages,

    Then I take it that other users have no trouble posting.

    but when she posts to the
    'listname' list, she gets this:

    Sent: 10/9/2006 3:24 PM

    listname at mydomain.state.or.us on 10/9/2006 2:52 PM
    The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but
    did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again.
    If it still fails, contact your system administrator.

    < mydomain.state.or.us #5.0.0 X-Postfix; mail forwarding
    loop for listname at mydomain.state.or.us>

    I checked the Postfix logs and see this:

    Oct 9 14:51:37 gatsby postfix/nqmgr[2397]: C24354405E:
    from=<user at email.com>, sizeV80, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

    Oct 9 14:51:37 gatsby postfix/local[21553]: C24354405E:
    to=<listname at email.com>, relay=local, delay=1,
    status=bounced (mail forwarding loop for
    listname at mydomain.state.or.us)

    So the postfix log is at least consistent with the message the user
    receives.

    I have been reading other information about mail forwarding errors in
    Postfix, but none of them seem to apply here. Can someone give me some
    tips as to what is happening? This is a small list and the list is not
    subscribed to itself.

    Even if the list were subscribed to itself, I don't think it would
    cause this since that fact wouldn't be evident until delivery of the
    post from Mailman, and Mailman has loop protection (the X-BeenThere:
    header) to prevent it from being sent a second time.

    I think you are correct in thinking this is a Postfix question, and I
    don't know the answer, but I think it must have to do with either the
    one user's domain or the number or identity of relays (hence Received:
    headers) that the post passes through on the way from her MUA to the
    list.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 10, '06 at 5:35p
activeOct 10, '06 at 11:37p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Christopher Adams: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post