email address changes, I only have to change one thing
and then everything else works.

To show what I mean, I'll have something like this:

smith: smith at gmail.com

list1: smith
list2: smith
list3: smith

So when smith moves to yahoo.com, I only have to
change the first line.

However, I'm deliberately setting up each Mailman list
to only allow posting from members of the list. This means
that the technique above won't work because if I put
the canonical name in as the list member, any mail send
to the list by smith at gmail.com will be rejected. Using
smith at gmail.com in all the lists goes against the teachings
of Sendmail/Postfix, which are righteous. I don't currently
see any way around this.

What would be nice would be if there were a way to point Mailman
to the Sendmail/Postfix aliases file and then change the Mailman
check for list membership to do alias expansion.

I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of this. What am I
missing?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Computer Resources Manager
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept.
305 Davis Hall
Univ. of Calif., Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
510-642-0904

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 6, 2006 at 1:45 am
    To show what I mean, I'll have something like this:

    smith: smith at gmail.com

    list1: smith
    list2: smith
    list3: smith

    So when smith moves to yahoo.com, I only have to
    change the first line.

    However, I'm deliberately setting up each Mailman list
    to only allow posting from members of the list. This means
    that the technique above won't work because if I put
    the canonical name in as the list member, any mail send
    to the list by smith at gmail.com will be rejected.

    You have a more serious issue to contend with first and that is that
    Mailman does not accept email addresses consisting of only a
    local-part ('smith' in your above example).

    However, I'm deliberately setting up each Mailman list
    to only allow posting from members of the list. This means
    that the technique above won't work because if I put
    the canonical name in as the list member, any mail send
    to the list by smith at gmail.com will be rejected. Using
    smith at gmail.com in all the lists goes against the teachings
    of Sendmail/Postfix, which are righteous. I don't currently
    see any way around this.

    Stop thinking in terms of using MTA aliases to manage your list members
    and let Mailman do its job.

    Smith can subscribe her gmail address to a number of your Mailman lists
    and when she moves to yahoo, she can change her address globally on
    all your lists to which she is subscribed by visiting her options page
    for a single list and changing her address globally.

  • Jon Forrest at Oct 6, 2006 at 3:16 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    You have a more serious issue to contend with first and that is that
    Mailman does not accept email addresses consisting of only a
    local-part ('smith' in your above example).
    I didn't know that. I had read the following:

    # The "host_name" is the preferred name for email to mailman-related
    # addresses on this host, and generally should be the mail host's
    # exchanger address, if any. This setting can be useful for selecting
    # among alternative names of a host that has multiple addresses.
    host_name = 'ce.berkeley.edu'

    so I was expecting this to be used when only a local part appears.
    Stop thinking in terms of using MTA aliases to manage your list members
    and let Mailman do its job.

    Smith can subscribe her gmail address to a number of your Mailman lists
    and when she moves to yahoo, she can change her address globally on
    all your lists to which she is subscribed by visiting her options page
    for a single list and changing her address globally.
    Our list members don't use Mailman's web interface. All our lists are
    created by administrative staff. Could a list administrator also
    change an address globally?

    Jon
  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 6, 2006 at 3:47 am

    Jon Forrest wrote:
    I didn't know that. I had read the following:

    # The "host_name" is the preferred name for email to mailman-related
    # addresses on this host, and generally should be the mail host's
    # exchanger address, if any. This setting can be useful for selecting
    # among alternative names of a host that has multiple addresses.
    host_name = 'ce.berkeley.edu'

    so I was expecting this to be used when only a local part appears.

    host_name is used for constructing the list posting address and the
    various <listname>-* addresses from the list name.

    Our list members don't use Mailman's web interface. All our lists are
    created by administrative staff. Could a list administrator also
    change an address globally?

    No. Only the Mailman site admin (anyone who has logged on with the site
    password) and the individual user can request a global address change.
    In addition, regardless of who requests the change and whether or not
    it is global, a confirmation request is sent to the new address and
    the change must be confirmed.

    Individual list owners (logged in with a list admin password) generally
    can't request/change information for other lists.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 5, '06 at 8:53p
activeOct 6, '06 at 3:47a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Jon Forrest: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 2 posts