Is one of the other lists a better place to ask this?


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: archive emails are garbled
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:38:57 -0700
From: Justin Zygmont <justin at cityfone.net>
To: mailman-users at python.org

I have a noticed a problem with emails stored in the list archives if
they have been uuencoded. When HTML emails are distributed to all the
list members they just show the raw HTML code, so I used uuencode and it
fixed that, but when I take a look at the message in the archives it
looks mostly garbled. Here's an example:

begin 644 AgentCommissions.html
M/"%$3T-465!%($A434P at 4%5"3$E#("(M+R]7,T,O+T141"!(5$U,(#0N,#$@
M5')A;G-I=&EO;F%L+R]%3B(^#0H\:'1M;#X-"CQH96%D/@T*/'1I=&QE/D-I
M='EF;VYE($-O;6UI(2TM
M#0IT9"YL:71T;&5T97AT("![(&9O;G0M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US
M:7IE.B X<'0@?0T*:#$@(" @(" @(" @(" @>R!F;VYT+69A;6EL>3H at 07)I
M86P[(&9O;G0M<VEZ93H@,31P="!]#0IH,B @(" @(" @(" @("![(&9O;G0M
M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US:7IE.B Q,G!T('T-"G1D+F)I9W1E>'0@
M(" @('L at 9F]N="UF86UI;'DZ($%R:6%L.R!F;VYT+7-I>F4Z(#$T<'0@?0T*


Anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 16, 2006 at 4:05 am

    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    Is one of the other lists a better place to ask this?
    Probably not. Did you see the reply to your original post at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-September/053291.html>?

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Justin Zygmont at Sep 19, 2006 at 12:37 am

    Is one of the other lists a better place to ask this?

    Probably not. Did you see the reply to your original post at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-September/053291.html>?
    I must have missed your message somehow, thanks a lot for the reply.


    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    I have a noticed a problem with emails stored in the list archives if
    they have been uuencoded. When HTML emails are distributed to all the
    list members they just show the raw HTML code,
    Messages as sent to message subscribers or messages in the archives?
    You should be able to send HTML to individual subscribers if you don't
    filter content or if you allow the appropriate MIME types in content
    filtering. How such messages appear in archives depends on sitewide
    archiving options set in mm_cfg.py.
    so I used uuencode and it
    fixed that, but when I take a look at the message in the archives it
    looks mostly garbled. Here's an example: >
    begin 644 AgentCommissions.html
    M/"%$3T-465!%($A434P at 4%5"3$E#("(M+R]7,T,O+T141"!(5$U,(#0N,#$@
    M5')A;G-I=&EO;F%L+R]%3B(^#0H\:'1M;#X-"CQH96%D/@T*/'1I=&QE/D-I
    M='EF;VYE($-O;6UI(2TM
    M#0IT9"YL:71T;&5T97AT("![(&9O;G0M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US
    M:7IE.B X<'0@?0T*:#$@(" @(" @(" @(" @>R!F;VYT+69A;6EL>3H at 07)I
    M86P[(&9O;G0M<VEZ93H@,31P="!]#0IH,B @(" @(" @(" @("![(&9O;G0M
    M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US:7IE.B Q,G!T('T-"G1D+F)I9W1E>'0@
    M(" @('L at 9F]N="UF86UI;'DZ($%R:6%L.R!F;VYT+7-I>F4Z(#$T<'0@?0T*
    This is not garbled. It is the uuencoded AgentCommissions.html file. A
    uuencoded file is not human readable, but as far as mail agents are
    concerned, it is plain text and will be archived in its raw form. Some
    MUAs see a uuencoded file in an email and call it an 'attachment' and
    render it as such, but this is non-standard. Also some MUAs when
    composing will put uuencoded data in a separate MIME part with
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: uuencode, x-uuencode, uue or x-uue, but
    this to is non-standard.
    Anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this?
    You should be able to send HTML messages to your list members.
    What Mailman version is this? What are your content filtering settings?
    Can you provide a sample of a message as sent to Mailman and as
    received from Mailman?
    The messages appear as HTML code, and do not display an HTML looking
    email when it arrives to the subscribers. This was one of the reasons
    why I tried using uuencode, but in the list archives, they show in their
    uuencoded form which is useless. I wanted it to appear as HTML in
    thunderbird, and include it as an attachment also.

    I'm using mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3 and tried different content
    filering options, it didn't seem to help though. Here is a sample of
    part of an email:


    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Mobility Points Report</title>
    <style>
    <!--
    td.littletext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt }
    h1 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    h2 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt }
    td.bigtext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>



    Thanks,
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 19, 2006 at 1:24 am

    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    The messages appear as HTML code, and do not display an HTML looking
    email when it arrives to the subscribers.

    This indicates that the MIME structure of the message has somehow been
    corrupted or you are looking at a 'plain' format digest as opposed to
    a 'mime' digest or an individual message from the list.

    I'm using mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3 and tried different content
    filering options, it didn't seem to help though. Here is a sample of
    part of an email:

    The sample doesn't help. What we need to see is the headers of the
    message and it's subparts. Ideally, both what you send to the list and
    what you get back.

    Send a very short, HTML message to the list with a Bcc: to yourself.
    Then view the message source of both the Bcc: and the message from the
    list. If you want help, you can copy and paste these message sources
    into a post to this list.

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
  • Justin Zygmont at Sep 19, 2006 at 10:28 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    The messages appear as HTML code, and do not display an HTML looking
    email when it arrives to the subscribers.


    This indicates that the MIME structure of the message has somehow been
    corrupted or you are looking at a 'plain' format digest as opposed to
    a 'mime' digest or an individual message from the list.


    I'm using mailman-2.1.5.1-34.rhel4.3 and tried different content
    filering options, it didn't seem to help though. Here is a sample of
    part of an email:


    The sample doesn't help. What we need to see is the headers of the
    message and it's subparts. Ideally, both what you send to the list and
    what you get back.

    Send a very short, HTML message to the list with a Bcc: to yourself.
    Then view the message source of both the Bcc: and the message from the
    list. If you want help, you can copy and paste these message sources
    into a post to this list.
    ok, thanks. Here is a paste of the message sources. These both don't
    show up as HTML in thunderbird for some reason, I guess mailman may not
    be the cause? Messages below were each shortened to save size.


    Emailed directly to me:



    From - Tue Sep 19 14:51:50 2006
    X-Account-Key: account2
    X-UIDL: 1154544464.3663
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    Return-Path: <jbill at cityfone.net>
    X-Original-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Delivered-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Received: from citybillingcityfone.net (citybilling.cityfone.local
    [192.168.43.30])
    by citysupport.cityfone.local (Postfix) with ESMTP id A8CA12543C1
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: from citybilling.cityfone.local (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by citybillingcityfone.net (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3) with ESMTP id k8JLovlg007676
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (from jan at localhost)
    by citybilling.cityfone.local (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3/Submit) id k8JLovKo007675
    for justin at cityfone.net; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    From: jbill at cityfone.net
    Message-Id: <200609192150.k8JLovKo007675 at citybilling.cityfone.local>
    X-Authentication-Warning: citybilling.cityfone.local: jan set sender to
    jbill at cityfone.net using -r
    To: justin at cityfone.net
    Subject: test
    X-IMAPbase: 1154544464 3663
    Status: O
    X-UID: 3663
    Content-Length: 3344
    X-Keywords:


    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>MoreMobility Points Report</title>
    <style>
    <!--
    td.littletext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt }
    h1 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    h2 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt }
    td.bigtext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <img src="http://citynet/public/CityNetReportsLogo.gif" /><hr>
    <h1>Connection Points</h1>
    <hr>
    <h2>These are clawbacks for phones returned in 30 days.</h2>
    <table border="1" width="100%">
    <tr>
    <td class="littletext">Line</td>
    <td class="littletext">Handset Code</td>
    <td class="littletext">Activation Date</td>
    <td class="littletext">Dealer</td>
    <td class="littletext">Points</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="4" class="littletext">Total</td>
    <td class="littletext" align="right"> 0</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <br><br><hr><table width="100%"><tr><td align="left"
    class="littletext">&copy; 2004-2006 Test report. All Rights
    Reserved.</td><td align="right" class="littletext">Report generated on
    September 14, 2006 00:00.</td></tr></table>
    </body>
    </html>




    Same message, sent to me through mailman:


    From - Tue Sep 19 14:56:50 2006
    X-Account-Key: account2
    X-UIDL: 1154544464.3664
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    Return-Path: <reportgroup-bounces at cityfone.net>
    X-Original-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Delivered-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Received: from citysupport.cityfone.local (localhost.localdomain
    [127.0.0.1])
    by citysupport.cityfone.local (Postfix) with ESMTP id 995942543C1;
    Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:06 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Original-To: reportgroup at cityfone.net
    Delivered-To: reportgroup at cityfone.net
    Received: from citybillingcityfone.net (citybilling.cityfone.local
    [192.168.43.30])
    by citysupport.cityfone.local (Postfix) with ESMTP id B424F2543C1
    for <reportgroup at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: from citybilling.cityfone.local (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by citybillingcityfone.net (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3) with ESMTP id
    k8JLtuVL007686
    for <reportgroup at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (from jan at localhost)
    by citybilling.cityfone.local (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3/Submit) id
    k8JLtu47007685
    for reportgroup at cityfone.net; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
    From: jbill at cityfone.net
    Message-Id: <200609192155.k8JLtu47007685 at citybilling.cityfone.local>
    X-Authentication-Warning: citybilling.cityfone.local: jan set sender to
    jbill at cityfone.net using -r
    To: reportgroup at cityfone.net
    Subject: [Reportgroup] test
    X-BeenThere: reportgroup at cityfone.net
    X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
    Precedence: list
    Sender: reportgroup-bounces at cityfone.net
    Errors-To: reportgroup-bounces at cityfone.net
    X-IMAPbase: 1154544464 3664
    Status: O
    X-UID: 3664
    Content-Length: 3475
    X-Keywords:


    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>MoreMobility Points Report</title>
    <style>
    <!--
    td.littletext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt }
    h1 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    h2 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt }
    td.bigtext { font-family: Arial; font-size: 14pt }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <img src="http://citynet/public/CityNetReportsLogo.gif" /><hr>
    <h1>Connection Points</h1>
    <hr>
    <h2>These are clawbacks for phones returned in 30 days.</h2>
    <table border="1" width="100%">
    <tr>
    <td class="littletext">Line</td>
    <td class="littletext">Handset Code</td>
    <td class="littletext">Activation Date</td>
    <td class="littletext">Dealer</td>
    <td class="littletext">Points</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="4" class="littletext">Total</td>
    <td class="littletext" align="right"> 0</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <br><br><hr><table width="100%"><tr><td align="left"
    class="littletext">&copy; 2004-2006 test report. All Rights
    Reserved.</td><td align="right" class="littletext">Report generated on
    September 14, 2006 00:00.</td></tr></table>
    </body>
    </html>
    _______________________________________________
    Reportgroup mailing list
    Reportgroup at cityfone.net
    http://citysupport/mailman/admin
  • Dragon at Sep 19, 2006 at 11:08 pm
    Justin Zygmont sent the message below at 15:28 9/19/2006:
    ok, thanks. Here is a paste of the message sources. These both don't
    show up as HTML in thunderbird for some reason, I guess mailman may not
    be the cause? Messages below were each shortened to save size.


    Emailed directly to me:

    From - Tue Sep 19 14:51:50 2006
    X-Account-Key: account2
    X-UIDL: 1154544464.3663
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    Return-Path: <jbill at cityfone.net>
    X-Original-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Delivered-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Received: from citybillingcityfone.net (citybilling.cityfone.local
    [192.168.43.30])
    by citysupport.cityfone.local (Postfix) with ESMTP id A8CA12543C1
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: from citybilling.cityfone.local (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by citybillingcityfone.net (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3) with ESMTP
    id k8JLovlg007676
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (from jan at localhost)
    by citybilling.cityfone.local (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3/Submit) id
    k8JLovKo007675
    for justin at cityfone.net; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    From: jbill at cityfone.net
    Message-Id: <200609192150.k8JLovKo007675 at citybilling.cityfone.local>
    X-Authentication-Warning: citybilling.cityfone.local: jan set sender to
    jbill at cityfone.net using -r
    To: justin at cityfone.net
    Subject: test
    X-IMAPbase: 1154544464 3663
    Status: O
    X-UID: 3663
    Content-Length: 3344
    X-Keywords:
    ---------------- End original message. ---------------------

    The most immediate problem I see is that these messages are missing
    any sort of MIME headers (as defined in RFC2045). Without those
    headers, there is no definitive way for the mail client to know what
    the content is. Some MUAs will then default to plain-text and not try
    to even guess what the content type is. Some (like Eudora which I
    use) may detect the HTML structure of the message body and render it.

    I am curious how you are creating these messages, are you composing
    them in an MUA in HTML format or are you cutting and pasting an HTML
    document from another editor into the message body? If the latter,
    you are not going to get the correct headers to identify the message
    content to a MIME compliant MUA. If the former, your MUA should be
    inserting these headers correctly.


    As stated in section 1 of RFC2046:


    The first document in this set,
    <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs//rfcs/rfc2045.html>RFC 2045, defines a
    number of header
    fields, including Content-Type. The Content-Type field is used to
    specify the nature of the data in the body of a MIME entity, by
    giving media type and subtype identifiers, and by providing auxiliary
    information that may be required for certain media types. After the
    type and subtype names, the remainder of the header field is simply a
    set of parameters, specified in an attribute/value notation. The
    ordering of parameters is not significant.

    In general, the top-level media type is used to declare the general
    type of data, while the subtype specifies a specific format for that
    type of data. Thus, a media type of "image/xyz" is enough to tell a
    user agent that the data is an image, even if the user agent has no
    knowledge of the specific image format "xyz". Such information can
    be used, for example, to decide whether or not to show a user the raw
    data from an unrecognized subtype -- such an action might be
    reasonable for unrecognized subtypes of "text", but not for
    unrecognized subtypes of "image" or "audio". For this reason,
    registered subtypes of "text", "image", "audio", and "video" should
    not contain embedded information that is really of a different type.
    Such compound formats should be represented using the "multipart" or
    "application" types.





    Dragon

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Venimus, Saltavimus, Bibimus (et naribus canium capti sumus)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Justin Zygmont at Sep 21, 2006 at 12:21 am

    Dragon wrote:
    Justin Zygmont sent the message below at 15:28 9/19/2006:
    ok, thanks. Here is a paste of the message sources. These both don't
    show up as HTML in thunderbird for some reason, I guess mailman may not
    be the cause? Messages below were each shortened to save size.


    Emailed directly to me:

    From - Tue Sep 19 14:51:50 2006
    X-Account-Key: account2
    X-UIDL: 1154544464.3663
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    Return-Path: <jbill at cityfone.net>
    X-Original-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Delivered-To: justin at cityfone.net
    Received: from citybillingcityfone.net (citybilling.cityfone.local
    [192.168.43.30])
    by citysupport.cityfone.local (Postfix) with ESMTP id A8CA12543C1
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: from citybilling.cityfone.local (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by citybillingcityfone.net (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3) with ESMTP id
    k8JLovlg007676
    for <justin at cityfone.net>; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (from jan at localhost)
    by citybilling.cityfone.local (8.13.4+Sun/8.13.3/Submit) id
    k8JLovKo007675
    for justin at cityfone.net; Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    From: jbill at cityfone.net
    Message-Id: <200609192150.k8JLovKo007675 at citybilling.cityfone.local>
    X-Authentication-Warning: citybilling.cityfone.local: jan set sender to
    jbill at cityfone.net using -r
    To: justin at cityfone.net
    Subject: test
    X-IMAPbase: 1154544464 3663
    Status: O
    X-UID: 3663
    Content-Length: 3344
    X-Keywords:
    ---------------- End original message. ---------------------

    The most immediate problem I see is that these messages are missing any
    sort of MIME headers (as defined in RFC2045). Without those headers,
    there is no definitive way for the mail client to know what the content
    is. Some MUAs will then default to plain-text and not try to even guess
    what the content type is. Some (like Eudora which I use) may detect the
    HTML structure of the message body and render it.

    I am curious how you are creating these messages, are you composing them
    in an MUA in HTML format or are you cutting and pasting an HTML document
    from another editor into the message body? If the latter, you are not
    going to get the correct headers to identify the message content to a
    MIME compliant MUA. If the former, your MUA should be inserting these
    headers correctly.


    As stated in section 1 of RFC2046:


    The first document in this set,
    <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs//rfcs/rfc2045.html>RFC 2045, defines a number
    of header
    fields, including Content-Type. The Content-Type field is used to
    specify the nature of the data in the body of a MIME entity, by
    giving media type and subtype identifiers, and by providing auxiliary
    information that may be required for certain media types. After the
    type and subtype names, the remainder of the header field is simply a
    set of parameters, specified in an attribute/value notation. The
    ordering of parameters is not significant.
    Thanks, I guess its just a matter of inserting the content-type header
    into the message then. I created these messages with a script that
    saved its output to a file, then used:
    mailx -s "subject" me at mydomain.com <filename.html
    If only there is a command line mailer that will allow me to add the
    mime type header to the email, then that would allow the message to
    display correctly in both my email client, and the list archives.
    Anyone know a way to do this?
  • Brad Knowles at Sep 21, 2006 at 4:43 am

    At 5:21 PM -0700 9/20/06, Justin Zygmont wrote:

    Thanks, I guess its just a matter of inserting the content-type header
    into the message then. I created these messages with a script that
    saved its output to a file, then used:
    mailx -s "subject" me at mydomain.com <filename.html
    If you build the message yourself, as opposed to using a MIME-aware
    MUA, then yes -- you will also need to build the necessary MIME
    headers and internal infrastructure. However, this can be a complex
    subject, and I would recommend that you at least look into
    command-line utilities that can help make this process easier.

    I can't think of the names of the toolkits off the top of my head,
    but you should be able to find them pretty easily with Google.


    But do keep in mind that even command-line MUAs like mailx won't let
    you control your own headers. If you want to control the headers,
    you will need to feed your formatted message directly to sendmail or
    some other comparable message submission agent.

    When I've done that in the past, it's looked something like:

    sendmail -t -fsender at address.he.re.example.com < /path/to/message
    If only there is a command line mailer that will allow me to add the
    mime type header to the email, then that would allow the message to
    display correctly in both my email client, and the list archives.
    I'd bet that "mutt" could do that, since it is the MUA that was
    originally written by the guy who also wrote the PGP/MIME RFC, so he
    clearly knows both his crypto/PGP stuff and his MIME stuff.

    Note that mutt does give you some control over what goes in the
    headers, but mostly that's for putting in your own "X-" headers and
    not doing critical things like mucking about with the MIME structure
    of the message.

    --
    Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA. See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.
  • Justin Zygmont at Sep 21, 2006 at 5:03 pm

    Brad Knowles wrote:
    At 5:21 PM -0700 9/20/06, Justin Zygmont wrote:

    Thanks, I guess its just a matter of inserting the content-type header
    into the message then. I created these messages with a script that
    saved its output to a file, then used:
    mailx -s "subject" me at mydomain.com <filename.html

    If you build the message yourself, as opposed to using a MIME-aware MUA,
    then yes -- you will also need to build the necessary MIME headers and
    internal infrastructure. However, this can be a complex subject, and I
    would recommend that you at least look into command-line utilities that
    can help make this process easier.

    I can't think of the names of the toolkits off the top of my head, but
    you should be able to find them pretty easily with Google.


    But do keep in mind that even command-line MUAs like mailx won't let you
    control your own headers. If you want to control the headers, you will
    need to feed your formatted message directly to sendmail or some other
    comparable message submission agent.

    When I've done that in the past, it's looked something like:

    sendmail -t -fsender at address.he.re.example.com < /path/to/message
    If only there is a command line mailer that will allow me to add the
    mime type header to the email, then that would allow the message to
    display correctly in both my email client, and the list archives.

    I'd bet that "mutt" could do that, since it is the MUA that was
    originally written by the guy who also wrote the PGP/MIME RFC, so he
    clearly knows both his crypto/PGP stuff and his MIME stuff.

    Note that mutt does give you some control over what goes in the headers,
    but mostly that's for putting in your own "X-" headers and not doing
    critical things like mucking about with the MIME structure of the message.
    thanks, I see it adds proper headers this way, but I still don't see a
    way to control what mime type to use. I used the sendmail command with
    an html file and it still came through as ascii. I've found that one
    workaround is to use mutt -a to include the file as an attachment, but
    i'm suprised there's no easy way to do this. Thanks everyone for your
    help, I think the lesson is to find something other than uuencode when
    sending to mailman so it doesnt spoil the list archives.
  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 21, 2006 at 5:47 pm

    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    thanks, I see it adds proper headers this way, but I still don't see a
    way to control what mime type to use. I used the sendmail command with
    an html file and it still came through as ascii.

    When using sendmail to send a message, the input to sendmail needs to
    have all headers as well as the message body. At a minimum, you should
    have

    From: ...
    Subject: ...
    Date: ...
    To: ...
    Message-ID: ...
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html

    <html message body>

    --
    Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
    San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 15, '06 at 10:52p
activeSep 21, '06 at 5:47p
posts10
users4
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase