I have a noticed a problem with emails stored in the list archives if
they have been uuencoded. When HTML emails are distributed to all the
list members they just show the raw HTML code, so I used uuencode and it
fixed that, but when I take a look at the message in the archives it
looks mostly garbled. Here's an example:

begin 644 AgentCommissions.html
M/"%$3T-465!%($A434P at 4%5"3$E#("(M+R]7,T,O+T141"!(5$U,(#0N,#$@
M5')A;G-I=&EO;F%L+R]%3B(^#0H\:'1M;#X-"CQH96%D/@T*/'1I=&QE/D-I
M='EF;VYE($-O;6UI(2TM
M#0IT9"YL:71T;&5T97AT("![(&9O;G0M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US
M:7IE.B X<'0@?0T*:#$@(" @(" @(" @(" @>R!F;VYT+69A;6EL>3H at 07)I
M86P[(&9O;G0M<VEZ93H@,31P="!]#0IH,B @(" @(" @(" @("![(&9O;G0M
M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US:7IE.B Q,G!T('T-"G1D+F)I9W1E>'0@
M(" @('L at 9F]N="UF86UI;'DZ($%R:6%L.R!F;VYT+7-I>F4Z(#$T<'0@?0T*

Anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Sep 14, 2006 at 10:02 pm

    Justin Zygmont wrote:
    I have a noticed a problem with emails stored in the list archives if
    they have been uuencoded. When HTML emails are distributed to all the
    list members they just show the raw HTML code,

    Messages as sent to message subscribers or messages in the archives?
    You should be able to send HTML to individual subscribers if you don't
    filter content or if you allow the appropriate MIME types in content
    filtering. How such messages appear in archives depends on sitewide
    archiving options set in mm_cfg.py.

    so I used uuencode and it
    fixed that, but when I take a look at the message in the archives it
    looks mostly garbled. Here's an example:

    begin 644 AgentCommissions.html
    M/"%$3T-465!%($A434P at 4%5"3$E#("(M+R]7,T,O+T141"!(5$U,(#0N,#$@
    M5')A;G-I=&EO;F%L+R]%3B(^#0H\:'1M;#X-"CQH96%D/@T*/'1I=&QE/D-I
    M='EF;VYE($-O;6UI(2TM
    M#0IT9"YL:71T;&5T97AT("![(&9O;G0M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US
    M:7IE.B X<'0@?0T*:#$@(" @(" @(" @(" @>R!F;VYT+69A;6EL>3H at 07)I
    M86P[(&9O;G0M<VEZ93H@,31P="!]#0IH,B @(" @(" @(" @("![(&9O;G0M
    M9F%M:6QY.B!!<FEA;#L at 9F]N="US:7IE.B Q,G!T('T-"G1D+F)I9W1E>'0@
    M(" @('L at 9F]N="UF86UI;'DZ($%R:6%L.R!F;VYT+7-I>F4Z(#$T<'0@?0T*

    This is not garbled. It is the uuencoded AgentCommissions.html file. A
    uuencoded file is not human readable, but as far as mail agents are
    concerned, it is plain text and will be archived in its raw form. Some
    MUAs see a uuencoded file in an email and call it an 'attachment' and
    render it as such, but this is non-standard. Also some MUAs when
    composing will put uuencoded data in a separate MIME part with
    this to is non-standard.

    Anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this?

    You should be able to send HTML messages to your list members.

    What Mailman version is this? What are your content filtering settings?
    Can you provide a sample of a message as sent to Mailman and as
    received from Mailman?

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedSep 14, '06 at 8:38p
activeSep 14, '06 at 10:02p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Justin Zygmont: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post