Sorry to post so many questions in the space of a week to this
list. I work at a school and all the changes we make to our mailing
lists tend to take place just once a year--now. So in a few days
I'll probably go away and you won't hear from me again till next summer. :-)

My question this time is: is there a simpler way to subscribe one
person to all 20 of our lists, and have the 'mod' bit unchecked for
her? I've been going into each list thru the web interface,
selecting Mass Subscription, adding the person, and then going to the
Membership List and unchecking the 'mod' bit that is on by default.

I'll be there's a much simpler command-line way to do it. Hope so!

Thanks,

Allan

Search Discussions

  • Dragon at Aug 25, 2006 at 9:30 pm
    Allan Trick sent the message below at 13:49 8/25/2006:
    Sorry to post so many questions in the space of a week to this
    list. I work at a school and all the changes we make to our mailing
    lists tend to take place just once a year--now. So in a few days
    I'll probably go away and you won't hear from me again till next summer. :-)

    My question this time is: is there a simpler way to subscribe one
    person to all 20 of our lists, and have the 'mod' bit unchecked for
    her? I've been going into each list thru the web interface,
    selecting Mass Subscription, adding the person, and then going to the
    Membership List and unchecking the 'mod' bit that is on by default.

    I'll be there's a much simpler command-line way to do it. Hope so!

    You can do this easily from the web interface and not have to change
    the setting for each individual user.

    On the Privacy Options->Sender Filters page there is a setting to
    control if new members are moderated by default. You would want to
    set this to No before mass subscribing anyone else.

    At the bottom of the Membership Management page, you can set the
    moderation bit for all subscribers on a list to on or off in one operation.

    Dragon

  • Dragon at Aug 25, 2006 at 9:46 pm
    Dragon sent the message below at 14:30 8/25/2006:
[...]

    I just added these two topics to the FAQ.

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.065.htp

    and

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.066.htp

    Dragon

  • Allan Trick at Aug 25, 2006 at 9:46 pm

    You can do this easily from the web interface and not have to change
    the setting for each individual user.

    On the Privacy Options->Sender Filters page there is a setting to
    control if new members are moderated by default. You would want to
    set this to No before mass subscribing anyone else.

    At the bottom of the Membership Management page, you can set the
    moderation bit for all subscribers on a list to on or off in one operation.
    That still requires going to the admin page for each of 20 lists.

    I was thinking of using "add_members" on the command line, but I
    don't see a way to change the mod bit there (my default is to have it
    on, but I want it off for this person I'm adding to all lists).

    Any other ideas?

    Allan
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 25, 2006 at 9:54 pm

    Allan Trick wrote:
    My question this time is: is there a simpler way to subscribe one
    person to all 20 of our lists, and have the 'mod' bit unchecked for
    her? I've been going into each list thru the web interface,
    selecting Mass Subscription, adding the person, and then going to the
    Membership List and unchecking the 'mod' bit that is on by default.

    I'll be there's a much simpler command-line way to do it. Hope so!

    Consider something like

    #!/bin/sh
    for list in `bin/list_lists --bare`
    do echo $1 | bin/add_members -r - -w y -a n $list
    done

    in the Mailman installation directory, cd there and run

    ./script user_to_subscribe at example.com

    See bin/add_members --help for an explaination of the options.

    You'll still need to set Privacy options->Sender
    filters->default_member_moderation to No for each list if you don't
    want the new member to be moderated.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 25, '06 at 8:49p