For starters I have read the documentation available and done some
googleing before this post.

Today we have about 25-30 lists running on an old Debian Woody
installation with postfix as MTA. Since the installation is old Mailman
runs version 2.0.11. Our new server is running Qmail, Rhel4 and Mailman
2.1.5 and my question is about best practice for this migration.

I've read some pages telling me that the administrative addresses has
changed between these versions. I'm not sure if the best way is:

1) to create the lists on the new server, use the config-list script to
export the config and the import this on the new server

2) just manually copy the lists/listname and archives directories to the
new server

3) upgrade the old server to 2.1.5 and the move to new server?

At this moment I prefer 1) since I'm really not that familiar with qmail
and it would be nice if the system handled the creation of aliases. But
how should I then procede? Should I run config-list to export/import or
can I just copy som directories to the new server and fix the
permissions and the URL:s?

//kim

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 25, 2006 at 11:59 pm

    Kim Leandersson wrote:
    I've read some pages telling me that the administrative addresses has
    changed between these versions. I'm not sure if the best way is:

    1) to create the lists on the new server, use the config-list script to
    export the config and the import this on the new server

    Not the best way for two reasons.

    When you dump the config with config_list -o and then import with
    config_list -i, the 2.0 attributes which are redefined/replaced in 2.1
    won't be properly converted.

    Transferring the list membership (via list_members -> add_members)
    doesn't preserve all member options.

    2) just manually copy the lists/listname and archives directories to the
    new server

    This is the way to go.

    Caveats - Do not create the list on the new server before the transfer.
    If you do, you will create a lists/listname/config.pck and Mailman
    will never see to lists/listname/config.db you move over.

    Does the domain name change? If so, you'll need to run fix_url on the
    moved lists and may want to rebuild the archives with bin/arch --wipe
    in order to fix the absolute links to the listinfo page on the archive
    index pages (or you can fix these manually or with a script).

    You will also have to deal with telling qmail about the lists, but I
    can't help with that.

    3) upgrade the old server to 2.1.5 and the move to new server?

    No need to do this. 2) is sufficient.

    At this moment I prefer 1) since I'm really not that familiar with qmail
    and it would be nice if the system handled the creation of aliases.
    Mailman doesn't know qmail aliases. Mailman can do Postfix
    automatically (MTA = 'Postfix'), and exim and maybe others can be
    configured so aliases are not needed. There is a qmail-to-mailman.py
    script in the contrib directory of the distribution to eliminate the
    need for aliases in qmail, but I don't know to use it or what its
    limitations are.

    But
    how should I then procede? Should I run config-list to export/import or
    can I just copy som directories to the new server and fix the
    permissions and the URL:s?

    Do the latter as I indicate above.

  • Kim Leandersson at Aug 26, 2006 at 4:37 pm

    2) just manually copy the lists/listname and archives
    directories to the
    new server

    This is the way to go.

    Caveats - Do not create the list on the new server before the
    transfer.
    If you do, you will create a lists/listname/config.pck and Mailman
    will never see to lists/listname/config.db you move over.

    Does the domain name change? If so, you'll need to run fix_url on the
    moved lists and may want to rebuild the archives with bin/arch --wipe
    in order to fix the absolute links to the listinfo page on the archive
    index pages (or you can fix these manually or with a script).

    You will also have to deal with telling qmail about the lists, but I
    can't help with that.
    Thanks for the help, a few following questions...

    Ok, I'll copy the /lists/<listname> directories to the new server. Then
    how do i tell Mailman to create config.pck out of the config.db? Does
    mailman do this without me telling it to do so, or do I have to run some
    command or maybe access the web admin pages?

    As for the qmail I've found
    http://www.uni.edu/~prefect/devel/mailman-qmail/index.shtml which seems
    to fix the aliases for me.

    //kim
  • Dragon at Aug 26, 2006 at 5:07 pm
    Kim Leandersson sent the message below at 09:37 AM 8/26/2006:
    Ok, I'll copy the /lists/<listname> directories to the new server. Then
    how do i tell Mailman to create config.pck out of the config.db? Does
    mailman do this without me telling it to do so, or do I have to run some
    command or maybe access the web admin pages?

    When you start the new version of mailman, it will look for
    config.pck files where it expects to find the list information. If it
    does not find them, it then looks for config.db files. If it finds
    them, it automatically converts them from the db format to the pck format.

    So all you have to do is start (or restart) mailman via the
    mailmanctl script and this will be done for you.

    Dragon

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 26, 2006 at 5:52 pm

    Kim Leandersson wrote:
    Ok, I'll copy the /lists/<listname> directories to the new server. Then
    how do i tell Mailman to create config.pck out of the config.db? Does
    mailman do this without me telling it to do so, or do I have to run some
    command or maybe access the web admin pages?

    The first time the list is accessed by Mailman on the new server,
    Mailman will convert the config.db to a current config.pck. This
    access can be due to a post, subscribe, unsubscribe, web admin access,
    etc. It doesn't matter - the conversion will be done transparently.

    After the list has been accessed and there are config.pck and
    config.pck.last files in the lists/listname directory, it is a good
    idea to remove the config.db and config.db.last files. There is a
    remote possibility that at some future time, there could be a problem
    accessing the config.pck* files and Mailman would fall back to the now
    out of date config.db, so its better if the config.db* files are
    removed.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 25, '06 at 10:15p