Steve Sullam wrote:
I run genlaliases in /usr/local/mailman/bin and I get this:

mailman: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

When I add these aliases to /etc/aliases and I run newaliases all
messages bounce back.

Why? What does the sendmail log say. What does the bounce notice say?

When I alias these accounts to my account at
least it doesn't bounce back. I can use the mass subscription to setup
accounts and these accounts can have password reminders sent to them,
but the posting doesn't work. I haven't been able to understand this
process so maybe someone can send me a link to explain this better.

You need those aliases in order to deliver mail to Mailman, i.e. pipe
the message incoming message to Mailman's wrapper program.

This could be a smrsh problem or a group mismatch problem depending on
why the mail is rejected.

See item 3 in
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>
and also see