My website and email (postfix + mailman) are hosted on two different servers.

I'd really like to be able to use the mailman web interface, but it
goes to the http server instead of the web server.

Instead of 'hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list' I'd like it to be
'list.hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list/general'

Does anyone know how I can do this without changing the mailman email
address from list at hostname.com to list at list.hostname.com?

I added the IP of my mail server to /etc/hosts, in order to use the
admin page, and I changed the "Host name this list prefers for email."
part. This didn't seem to change anything, though. :(

Thanks!

-Will

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 20, 2006 at 1:01 am

    Will Twomey wrote:
    Instead of 'hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list' I'd like it to be
    'list.hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list/general'

    Does anyone know how I can do this without changing the mailman email
    address from list at hostname.com to list at list.hostname.com?

    Put the following in mm_cfg.py

    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.hostname.com'
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'hostname.com'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    restart mailman and run fix_url.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>.

    After all this is working OK, you may want to rebuild the archives with
    'bin/arch --wipe listname' in order to fix the absolute links to the
    listinfo page in the prior monthly index files.

    Of course you will have to have an appropriately configured web server
    on list.hostname.com.

  • Will Twomey at Jun 20, 2006 at 5:44 am
    Thank you, that fixed it. :)

    A second question, if I may.

    Is there a way to only allow some users to send messages to the list?
    So the rest can only receive (seems like this would be useful for an
    announcement list).

    Hope that's not a stupid question.

    Thanks for the quick reply. =)

    -Will
    Instead of 'hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list' I'd like it to be
    'list.hostname.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list/general'

    Does anyone know how I can do this without changing the mailman email
    address from list at hostname.com to list at list.hostname.com?

    Put the following in mm_cfg.py

    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.hostname.com'
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'hostname.com'
    VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

    restart mailman and run fix_url.

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>.

    After all this is working OK, you may want to rebuild the archives with
    'bin/arch --wipe listname' in order to fix the absolute links to the
    listinfo page in the prior monthly index files.

    Of course you will have to have an appropriately configured web server
    on list.hostname.com.

  • Oliver Schulze L. at Jun 20, 2006 at 5:58 am
    It is possible.
    Look at the config pages(web) for setting the list as moderated or
    config that only
    1 user has post permissions.

    HTH
    Oliver

    Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp
    --
    Oliver Schulze L.
    <oliver at samera.com.py>
    Is there a way to only allow some users to send messages to the list?
    So the rest can only receive (seems like this would be useful for an
    announcement list).

    See
    <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.

groupmailman-users @